Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen this ZMAX product advertised many times in stores and on TV and it claims to "soak into metal" to provide lubrication beyond the limits of what normal oil can provide. has anyone used this stuff in their GN yet? how would it affect the turbo parts and other important stuff in a turbo car?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Been wondering the same thing myself. Just might try it. Even if it's snake oil I've spent much more $$$ trying other things. If it works even a little like they say, it can't hurt.

------------------

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Soaking into metal isn't easy. Do they give dimensions for the oil boundary layer and how much deeper it goes. Real dimensions in thousandths of an inch?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Retired
1,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Keep away from that stuff! I wouldn't put it in a vehcile you value. That stuff is the same as slick 50 and that other crap. It is designed for a beater. The chemicals do sink into the metal and cause problems on a rebuild. You won't be able to seat your rings using that crap.

My buddy's brother and his fiends put slick 50 into a beater. Drained the oil and ran it at open day at our speedway. Guess what happened? They couldn't blow the motor, it was absolutely hilarious!
Coincidence, who knows? It was funny reqardless!

I would not be putting that crap into your GN, keep away!

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/additives.html

I was ready to try Zmax, as it is supposed to be the automotive version of a product used in piston aircraft. Then I went to this site and changed my mind. Race car and aircraft engines get torn down on a regular basis - my LC2 doesn't.

I might consider it in my wife's 215k Camry or some other hi-mile beater that needs a bit of "help," but no way is that stuff getting near the TR.

------------------
Had to leave Hawaii for Oregon, but at least now I have...
"Toady" -- white/blue '86 T-Type, 175k+
Probably the only TR in the NW that still has stock turbo/IC/injectors/DP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.