Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem guys. Car has been sitting for a month, I started the car and ran it for 30 seconds or so, sounded fine. I look at my gauges and my autometer oil pressure gauge says zero!! And the oil idiot light is on. Shut the car down.

I unscrewed the turbo oil feel line and crank the engine over with the ecm unplugged, and no oil comes out. Plugged ecm back in, then ran the car for 5 seconds and still no oil comes out of the turbo oil feed line.

The car was just stored over winter (6 months up here in Winnipeg!) and it fired up no problem with tons of oil pressure. Drove the car around for a week, no problems. Car sat for the last month while installing various things (like a downpipe) and now I finally get it back together and no oil pressure. Any ideas??

I'm not sure if it's a gauge issue or if I really don't have oil pressure. Help!

Thanks, Dave

------------------
84 GN, still hotair. Basic go-fast mods :D alloutracing.com/Rides/GrandNational

Member of the Manitoba Grand National Association: www.mgna.ca

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
oil pump?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I assume that your car is a Hotair, from your handle. So I want to say right up front that I dunno anything for sure.
Where's Zap when you need him?

Here's the ones that seem obvious to me.

Perhaps the cam sensor broke off at the oil pump drive?

Oil pickup plugged, broken, fallen off. (Never seen it on a Buick but I had a 2.8 Chevy that did it twice)

Maybe just the turbo feed is plugged?

Where is your oil pressure sender?

HTH

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Oil pickup plugged, broken, fallen off. (Never seen it on a Buick but I had a 2.8 Chevy that did it twice)
Happened to me. The pickup came disconnected from the block and it sucked air, not oil.

Drop the pan, check it out. I bet the pickup bolts came loose.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Got oil in it?

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Originally posted by raregn:
Got oil in it?

prefusely the same thing I was thinking. If you don't have oil coming out of the turbo oil feed line then you problem is real and not gauge related. Do you have the factory oil cooler and adapter? I had a factory oilcooler adapter crack internally and it caused my oil pressure to drop to zero. Just for the hell of it, take the oilcooler adapter off and screw the filter on. If that fixes the Oil pressure problem then get another oilcooler adapter.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed!!! Yay! Oil pump needed to be primed. Borrowed a drill bit that someone in the local MGNA club had made, turned the oil pump over for about 10 seconds and I got 65 psi oil pressure! Put everything back together, reset the cam sensor and all is well! Thanks for the suggestions and information guys!!

Dave

Ps. Yea Craig I had oil in it

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That is good news..strange that it lost prime...keep your eye on the gauge when you are starting it....

Glad that it was a cheap fix.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea no kidding, my eye's going to be glued to the gauge now!

The only reason it would have lost prime would have been because I cut one of my oil cooler lines and reattached it (because it was leaking). So I lost a lot of oil out of the cooler and the adapter near the oil filter. No I don't have an 86/87 oil cooler I have an adapter for an 84. But maybe the absense of oil caused it to suck too much air or something. But then shouldn't I have had the same problem when I first put on my oil cooler? Weird. Oh well, just watch that oil pressure gauge!!

Dave

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts