Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you old Frank Zappa fans, I'm going to see Zappa plays Zappa on Fri night at the Hummingbird Centre. Dweezil (Zappa's son) is doing a tour playing some of his fathers music) http://www.zappa.com/cheezoid/whatsnew/zpz/
http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourlog/index.php

The line up has Steve Via, who spent three years as a member of Zappa’s ensemble, where he was credited not just as "guitarist" but as wielder of "strat abuse" and "impossible guitar parts."
If you are a Steve Via fan, you got to listen and see his...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg&search=tender surrender
And drummer extraordinaire Terry Bozzio, and singer Napolean Murphy Brock.
I saw Frank Zappa way back in the 80's and was completely blown away by him.
From all I have heard about this tour, I won’t be disappointed.

Paul :headbang:

·
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
490 Posts
Nice. I wondered if Vai would be doing it or not,and Bozzio backing it up makes a killer lineup. Think the last time I saw Vai may have been waaay back at the Warehouse in T.O when I lived there. :headbang: :cheers:

·
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
490 Posts
Ya scary!...He was just here in Ottawa for Steve's music a few weeks ago for a drum clinic.
I didn't make it,but a friend did and said it was good. I forget the other 2 drummers that were with him though....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it should be a blast.
Speaking of amazing drummers... We have a local guy here in TO "Vito Rezza" who auditioned for Frank once and is freaking incredible. I used to see him perform with Robbie Rox and the Monster Horn Band. I used to joke with a friend of mine that he could bend time. He does some great jazz oround the city now, but I forgot the name of his band.

Paul

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Quick Toy said:
Yeah, it should be a blast.
Speaking of amazing drummers... We have a local guy here in TO "Vito Rezza" who auditioned for Frank once and is freaking incredible. I used to see him perform with Robbie Rox and the Monster Horn Band. I used to joke with a friend of mine that he could bend time. He does some great jazz oround the city now, but I forgot the name of his band.

Paul

4 Martinis and me on the drums , I'll bend friggin time for you . well it sounds good to me anyways :D LOL :) .my kids usually head for the hills when I get behind their kit . LOL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KWIKR 1 said:
4 Martinis and me on the drums , I'll bend friggin time for you . well it sounds good to me anyways :D LOL :) .my kids usually head for the hills when I get behind their kit . LOL

LOL :D I've seen you dance remember :headbang: You had no problem keeping your "own" beat.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the name Greg. Have you ever seen them?

Paul

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Quick Toy said:
LOL :D I've seen you dance remember :headbang: You had no problem keeping your "own" beat.

:cheers:
LOL :D ouch ,that hurt :D :) LOL . yes , I am a drummer who drums to his "own" beat . :D . have fun at the concert .

·
Neigbours r sleeping?
486 Posts
hrmm takes me back to the school days.
hrmm /me is playing Frank Zappa - Dynamo Hum 256 kbits

AJ :)

·
Unregistered Abuser
423 Posts
Quick Toy said:
Thanks for the name Greg. Have you ever seen them? Paul
I think i did, few years back, somewhere on Queen St W, they were great!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the concert was great. Kinda surreal hearing his music live again. I was slightly disappointed when I got there, and heard that the lead singer Napoleon Murphy Brock wouldn't be there, because of a family emergency. Dweezil altered the sets, so we heard a lot more instrumental songs and a lot of songs that have never been played on tour. All the players were fantastic, and when Terry Bossio and Steve Via (who by the way is 56) came on it was electric. I was pissed at the 11.00 curfew though. I don’t get it... The Esplanade has all those open patio's, and I imagine that noise would carry on past 11.00, so how bad would a little stifled music seeping out from the Humming bird Centre be? Like all good concerts... you want more, and cutting it off sharply at 11.00 with no encore sucked.
I was very interesting to see that age spread. Most were old farts like me (Some even older :wink: ) and some young folks. (Steve via fans???) Regardless of age everybody was up on their feet.

Paul :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts