Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update on the Z28 I bought a while back. Dan and I installed a Comp Cams 280H cam. I had the 3.42's swapped out for 3.08's. This week I added a new 600 Holley vacuum secondary carb...new Edelbrock Performer Intake...and chromed it out with rocker covers...air breather...alternator...alternator bracket...water inlet...and power steering cover. Look closely...and you'll notice it's M.O.E compliant.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congrats on the work you've done. It looks good, and I'm glad to see that you've tried to keep the car emission compliant. The open element air cleaner may not pass though. There is a guy in the Port Perry area with a '32 Ford rat rod with a small block Chev in it. He got pulled over by the MOE last year, and they decoded the engine as having originally been installed in a 1985 Chev truck. He ended up retrofitting emission controls to the car, including a stock type air cleaner assembly, with the heat stove on the headers and a heat tube going to the Thermac valve on the stock type air cleaner snorkel. On your Z28, the original cowl induction setup may be more effective at delivering colder outside air to the engine. As I understand it, those cars have an electrical switch that opens the cowl induction flap at full throttle. There's probably a way to change that, to allow the cowl induction flap to stay open longer. Just passing along some info that may help. Keep up the good work on the car.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the work you've done. It looks good, and I'm glad to see that you've tried to keep the car emission compliant. The open element air cleaner may not pass though. There is a guy in the Port Perry area with a '32 Ford rat rod with a small block Chev in it. He got pulled over by the MOE last year, and they decoded the engine as having originally been installed in a 1985 Chev truck. He ended up retrofitting emission controls to the car, including a stock type air cleaner assembly, with the heat stove on the headers and a heat tube going to the Thermac valve on the stock type air cleaner snorkel. On your Z28, the original cowl induction setup may be more effective at delivering colder outside air to the engine. As I understand it, those cars have an electrical switch that opens the cowl induction flap at full throttle. There's probably a way to change that, to allow the cowl induction flap to stay open longer. Just passing along some info that may help. Keep up the good work on the car.
The original air filter is open element...with the PS breather tube coming off the PS rocker cover...and attaching to the side of the original breather assembly. I did the same thing with the new breather. Look real close...and you'll see a breather coming out of the PS rocker with a 5/8th's nipple on it. I attached a tube from it and it goes to a 5/8th's nipple on the underside of the air breather. Anything from the crankcase gets reburned...just like the original. Everything is hooked up correctly...with the exception of the stovepipe from the PS exhaust manifold to the breather...but it was rotted off long before I got the car. If they wanted to nitpick...they could get me on that. It has the original exhaust manifolds...but did not come with an air pump. Some did...some didn't...and mine didn't. I spent a lot of time going over the car doing my best to make it compliant. Even the butterfly in the PS exhaust manifold works.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cowl induction works off the gas pedal. There's a switch...and when you compress the loud pedal far enuf...it engages a solenoid in the cowl...and opens the cowl induction. Unfortunately...the solenoid...is no longer available.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I know that you've done your best to avoid problems with the MOE. The main concern that I could see is the missing heat stove and hot air pipe to the air cleaner. Like I said before, they could nitpick you on that. I don't have any personal experience with the cowl scoop on those cars, but I would imagine that with a bit of ingenuity, something could be devised to make it work. Regardless, it looks good, and it probably performs much better.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Just get some CARB certified headers and be done with the manifolds. ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just get some CARB certified headers and be done with the manifolds. ;)
What he said and keep the stock wheels:yup:I like these guys with 3 1/2 inch exh and big tires out back that get pulled over and wonder why?:dunno:

Kevin

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What he said and keep the stock wheels:yup:I like these guys with 3 1/2 inch exh and big tires out back that get pulled over and wonder why?:dunno:

Kevin
Interior and exterior are stayin' stone stock.

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Take a pic of the solenoid. how much travel?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a pic of the solenoid. how much travel?
I'll remove it and take a pic. Gotta be somethin' out there that you, Brian or Norbs could replace it with.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fired 'er up tonite...and set the initial timing at 16 degrees. Cam sounds real mean. Good throttle response...and nice driveability. Some quieter mufflers might be in order.

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
Did you just get the oil changed?

:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3mdVmnous]Mr.Lube - Keep On Rockin - YouTube[/ame]

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not hijacking the thread but does anyone notice something odd about the firebird in the commercial?
Yeah...the fuzzy dice don't match the color of the car.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Not hijacking the thread but does anyone notice something odd about the firebird in the commercial?
Brad doesn't have a MILF spread eagle on the hood? :dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts