Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up several gallons of xylene at the duron paint store. I've never used it before so I have a couple quick questions and taking all advice. Do I premix it in a gas can, or can I pour it directly into the tank? Anything else I should beware of? Don't wanna blow the roof off the house eek!

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
I usually pour it right into the tank, but i always have at least a half tank of gas. I mix mine at about 20% xylene to 80% 93 oct. And i pour half of the xylene in and then add the MMO (Marvels Mystery Oil), and then add the rest of the xylene.

Scott

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Commonly used as a paint thinner, Xylene and Toulene are used in gasoline as an octane booster.
For Turbo Buicks (and perhaps other cars) a 25% mixture of Toulene\Xylene is the generally recommended max. Generally available at paint stores in varying size containers, they will not harm catalytic conv. or oxygen sensors. Marvel Mystery oil is added as a lubricant when using T or X. If I am wrong about any of this, somehow I think someone will correct me! :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tms,
I found the best price at duron, thanks to the poster here who gave me the account number. Just tell the salesman, acct #11-72310, and it will ring up at 5.25 a gal. Beats Ace hardwares $9-10. :D I've read somewhere on these boards a 3/1 ratio (93/X) will put the octane at 99.75, which should be good for about 4-5 more pounds of boost without knock I would think. I'll be turning up the wick slowly, and checking for knock. ugh

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
In the Info on the gnlink they mention adding mineral spirits as a cleaner & trans fluid as lubricant. Is this the mystery oil you speak of??

·
Registered
657 Posts
There is a product called Marvel's Mystery Oil. Comes in a red plastic bottle with black writing and is usually carried in the additives section. Good luck finding any here on Ontario though.

It used to be carried by Canadian Tire but I think they pulled it from the shelves about a month ago.

I managed to pick up 5 bottles before they pulled them and only have 2 or three left. Try there first and maybe Walmart.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
I would bet you could get the same benefits of MMO from 2-cycle engine oil. Gasoline is a mixture of light to heavy hydrocarbons. Adding xylene increases the light/heavy ratio. Adding some heavy (oil) brings it back.

(Former petroleum chemist :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts