Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done with a Xylene experiment. Ran about a 30 percent mix with 93 octane. Boost was peaking at about 17 (pre-xylene), now it hit pretty darn near 20. The wastegate actuator is basically in the stock position. I guess the timing retard that was taking place also affected peak boost? The most I saw on this run was a little over 4 degrees KR that I think took place during gear change. The car ran strong.

1985 T-Type with:
1986/1987 Turbo
1987 ECM
1987 MAF
Joe Lubrant 20 degree timing street chip
38lb lucas inj
204/214 cam
2800 red stripe convertor
other stuff I can't think of

I can't get any 100 unleaded around here so i thought I would give it (xylene) a try. It works.

Comments, criticisms, speculations welcome.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
After taking my GN out of a 4 month storage, I noticed a extremely rough idle and increased knock (especially on the topside). One tankfull (mixing 1:3 plus some MMO) gave me almost instant results. The stumble went away as did the knock. I think alky injection is cheaper and provides more increases in the long run, though.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Alchy would be the way to go. The benefit of it "Steam cleaning" the engine is also a big plus. Xylene isn't particularly cheap either. So if anyone knows some sources please post. Basically I had to pay 5 bucks a gallon at Sherwin Williams.

I don't drive this car that much though, so a full tank mix should last a while. Hotairs don't like this hot/humid weather much either.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah, but if you ever take the car out of the front yard, you might....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wish I could help. I work for a chemical plant here in Houston. In the unit that I work we Distill xylene everyday to a purity of 99.9%. I wish it was easy to get ya'll some. It is nothing for me to deal with 20,000 gallons in a week. Heck I wish I could get me some legally.

David
[email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is a good alky it anyhow? How much $$$$$$$$$$$
And is it a sneaky thing? or do you open the hood and all sortsa steel braided lines jump and shout at you?

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Zap, you put the zylene in the CAR? or had ****tails???

20# in a hotair? I'm impressed

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Originally posted by Zap:
So if anyone knows some sources please post. Basically I had to pay 5 bucks a gallon at Sherwin Williams.
I've read on one of these posts that the best deal found were the 5 gal containers at Sherwin Williams. Depending on where you are, it could drop the price to less than $4 per gal. My local SW didn't carry 5 gal containers, but he said he could easily order it if I wanted.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Zap, Thats a good price retail. Up here in yankee territory we pay $6.50 a gal. I guess you guys use it to make moonshine too. So its more available for ya.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,MM210Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

[This message has been edited by ULYCYC (edited July 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I bought, 5 gallon container. Ran 25 bucks.

TurboJimTestafromnewjersey:

Quit using dirty words.
Well, 20 is what the VDO boost gauge showed. Plus it's a low timing chip. YOUR ACTUAL BOOST MAY VARY. I guess it's fairly accurate, better than the factory one at least! Lacquer thinner for Kocktails (take that censomatic!).

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited July 25, 2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts