Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a TA-49 on my car the other day. I also have an ATR catback, 009 injectors, chip, manual boost controller, and all new silicone hoses and t-bar clamps. My fuel pressure is set at 45lbs. I cant break a 14.7 in the 1/4. Whats my damn problem? Im running 16lbs of boost. Any Ideas?? :( :rant: :(

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
can you list all the times from the slip..it would help.

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
You need some racing fuel and more boost and some tuning.
Depending on which chip you have it could be running a little rich w/ 16psi of boost.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need to a lot more information to get anything more than basic help like:

- Are you running scanMaster or a knock gauge to know if the ECM is dialing things back because of knock?
- What gas are you running?
- What other mods do you have
- Do you have a turbolink or directscan record of your runs?
- What are your 60' times?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
16# of boost on a ta49 would not be much difference than 16# from a stock turbo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Ill get my time slips and post times and 60 fts in a few. I was running 94 oct. I listed all my mods already, its only a few. I dont have a scanmaster, thats my next purchase. I guess my main concern was that I thought these cars were supposed to run low 14s stock, why wouldnt the new turbo make it faster. Ill post more info ASAP. I was running street tires and had no traction issues. Thanks...

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
are you launching the car or leaving off idle.

·
Unregistered Abuser
423 Posts
Juggernaut said:
I guess my main concern was that I thought these cars were supposed to run low 14s stock, why wouldnt the new turbo make it faster.
You have a problem somewhere else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Launching at 3lbs. Any more spins the tires.
R/T .762
60' 2.359
330 6.254
1/8 9.499
MPH 74.97
1000 12.350
1/4 14.780
MPH 92.71

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also did the TB bypass and the passenger valve cover breather and removed/cleaned the intercooler... and an aftermarket oil cooler

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
From what I have read, a ta49 does not really surpass a stock turbo until after 21-22psi.
I run a stocker on one car and a 49 on the other and I really can't tell the difference.
Your down on HP, a stock GN should be about 100 MPH in the 1/4.
Still run the stock cat?
Sounds like you have done the spring cleaning.
What RPMs at WOT do you reach?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do still have the stock cat. Ive had a THDP with cutout on backorder for quite a while. I just did the complete spring cleaning also. I cant recall my RPM's. My suspension is pretty tired too. Im sure thats not helping my 60'.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
16#s your not goin anywhere :dunno: ya have to work on the short times to :yup:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
A 2.3 60' time with a 3psi launch tells me your making no power on the bottom end. On my 83 anything above a 2.2 and I'm spining. MPH and ET match..but should be quicker..a full sec. faster.. it looks like your car is falling on it's face at the end as well. Did you hear any knock?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Juggernaut said:
Thanks for the replies. Ill get my time slips and post times and 60 fts in a few. I was running 94 oct. I listed all my mods already, its only a few. I dont have a scanmaster, thats my next purchase. I guess my main concern was that I thought these cars were supposed to run low 14s stock, why wouldnt the new turbo make it faster. Ill post more info ASAP. I was running street tires and had no traction issues. Thanks...
They will run below 14.5 stock. 900ft altitude.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Juggernaut said:
Ive had a THDP with cutout on backorder for quite a while.
FYI - gbodyparts.com is now shipping their own version of a 3" polished stainless down pipe with either a test pipe or a dump pipe. I'll have one in my hands on Tuesday and I can't wait to get it in the car!

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
ahaeragain said:
FYI - gbodyparts.com is now shipping their own version of a 3" polished stainless down pipe with either a test pipe or a dump pipe. I'll have one in my hands on Tuesday and I can't wait to get it in the car!
i got one! i cant wait to put it in!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Juggernaut said:
R/T .762
60' 2.359
330 6.254
1/8 9.499
MPH 74.97
1000 12.350
1/4 14.780
MPH 92.71
Usually for every .1 you're off on your 60' will be .15 off your ET.
A 1.9 should be *easy*, given a decent track, tire, and a good launch.
You'd be at a low 14 with just getting your 60' time down.

16 PSI, isn't even working the motor, if it has a decent tune.

Yes, a Scanmaster, and Direct Scan should be in your immediate future if you're at all serious about drag racing. Then a good boost guage, EGT, and WB. Then once you get good at understanding what all the engine is telling you, it gets easy to see what makes the engine happy, and gets you down the track faster.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Usually for every .1 you're off on your 60' will be .15 off your ET.
A 1.9 should be *easy*, given a decent track, tire, and a good launch.
You'd be at a low 14 with just getting your 60' time down.

16 PSI, isn't even working the motor, if it has a decent tune.

Yes, a Scanmaster, and Direct Scan should be in your immediate future if you're at all serious about drag racing. Then a good boost guage, EGT, and WB. Then once you get good at understanding what all the engine is telling you, it gets easy to see what makes the engine happy, and gets you down the track faster.
No other parts until you do above..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Juggernaut said:
R/T .762
60' 2.359
330 6.254
1/8 9.499
MPH 74.97
1000 12.350
1/4 14.780
MPH 92.71
With a perfect R/T you are running 14.5.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts