Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like the hoses for my "turbo saver" kit have worn through and leaking worse by the day. Anyone know where to buy a set? Was wondering if they were available separate or would have to purchase another complete kit.
If not I'm sure I could find someone local to make a couple up.Thanks in advance.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
six-3X's-aday said:
Well looks like the hoses for my "turbo saver" kit have worn through and leaking worse by the day. Anyone know where to buy a set? Was wondering if they were available separate or would have to purchase another complete kit.
If not I'm sure I could find someone local to make a couple up.Thanks in advance.:cheers:
I changed the fittings, and then swapped to AN lines.
It cost a few more bucks, but they'll last forever.

·
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it on the hoist at work,and on further inspection it's actually the braided feed line from the oil filter adapter to the top of turbo. It has been been seeping out at the fitting where the braid is connected down on lower rad hose and the feed/return lines.

Good call on the AN lines though, that may be very well what I will do anyway. Thanks again. :cheers: :6:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
six-3X's-aday said:
I had it on the hoist at work,and on further inspection it's actually the braided feed line from the oil filter adapter to the top of turbo. It has been been seeping out at the fitting where the braid is connected down on lower rad hose and the feed/return lines.

Good call on the AN lines though, that may be very well what I will do anyway. Thanks again. :cheers: :6:
Just as a FWIW, on the oil side, I used -10, and then -4 for the turbo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Just as a FWIW, on the oil side, I used -10, and then -4 for the turbo.

Hey, Bruce,

Where does one get AN lines- I've got the same leak to deal with......

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
six-3X's-aday said:

PTE will sell you hoses individually

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
Steve Wood said:
PTE will sell you hoses individually
Good luck trying to get hoses from them!

I called about a year ago asking about the hoses and they didn't have a clue about what i was talking about. :dunno:

turbosaver, what is that? :confused:
remote oil filter system, what is that? :confused:

I just gave up, heck it's their product and they didn't know. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
socalgn said:
Hey, Bruce,
Where does one get AN lines- I've got the same leak to deal with......
Jeg's and Summit sell the pieces you need.
As I recall, I got (2) 3' sections of hose, then 2 straight ends, 2 90d ends, then 4 straight 3/8" pipe to -10 fittings. Using the 90d hose ends has less of a pressure drop then 90d pipe fittings, FWIW.

On the turbo I've forgotten the lenght of hose. It was -4, and at the one hose end at the turbo used a 135d fitting.

·
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine said he can take them to the local John Deere store and have them made on site. They may look a little different,but strength won't be an issue. :headbang: So yet another option for anyone else interested.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The hose is Parker Pushlock and is available at most hose supply stores. The large lines of the turbosaver are -10 push on hose and the turbo line is -4. The hose is less than a $1 per foot and require only a razor blade to r&r the fittings. All you do is cut the hose to length, apply oil to the fitting and push it on. To get the fittings off you'll need to cut the hose with the razor blade. In my opinion the AN fittings with steel braid hose will leak or have problems long before the parker push lock fittings. The installation of the pushlock stuff is idiot proof and I have seen too many AN fittings leak or blow off, probably due to installation error. Once the pushlock fitting is pushed on, it's not coming off or leaking unless you cut it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
In my opinion the AN fittings with steel braid hose will leak or have problems long before the parker push lock fittings. The installation of the pushlock stuff is idiot proof and I have seen too many AN fittings leak or blow off, probably due to installation error.
Really?, I guess I've just been lucky for the 35 years I've used AN that none of it's leaked. Yes, none. Not to mention that it's abrasion proof, and salt spray resistant, and takes along time to develope a leak when exposed to fire. Not to mention that it was the only stuff under the hood to survive a brake fluid generated fire..... The oil and fuel lines, obviously were replaced, but they held their contents for the duration of the fire. I wonder how well that push lock stuff would handle flying parts, ot something like the engine being torn from it's mounts?......

Life's easy when you only think of best case scenarios......

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I surely haven't been around AN fittings for 35 years but I have seen them fail. I was in Scottie's car one night during some WOT testing when the -8 hose blew off the AN fitting at the fuel rail on a WOT blast. And now a guy in this very thread that has a leaky -4 turbo saver line.

All I am saying is the Parker stuff is idiot proof which to me makes it a better option for what I am trying to do with it, < 300 psi operating. (Yes I just called myself an idiot). If an engine 'breaks' loose from its mounts I have other worries than the hose. There is also more expensive Parker hose that is braided on the outside which I am using as a -8 feed line in my car. I only suggested the regular hose above as it's cheap and what originally came with the turbosaver.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
I surely haven't been around AN fittings for 35 years but I have seen them fail. I was in Scottie's car one night during some WOT testing when the -8 hose blew off the AN fitting at the fuel rail on a WOT blast. And now a guy in this very thread that has a leaky -4 turbo saver line.

All I am saying is the Parker stuff is idiot proof which to me makes it a better option for what I am trying to do with it, < 300 psi operating. (Yes I just called myself an idiot). If an engine 'breaks' loose from its mounts I have other worries than the hose. There is also more expensive Parker hose that is braided on the outside which I am using as a -8 feed line in my car. I only suggested the regular hose above as it's cheap and what originally came with the turbosaver.
Man, it sounds like alot of people really need to sit down, and read the Earl's Catalog and figure out how to assemble AN. It's not much more complex then being idiot proof, there is the ocassional finger stick with a loose SS wire, but gads, it's just not hard to do it right.

So fire from a line being torn loose is something you just ignore?. Ya, losing an engine is a problem, but 3rd Degree burns over one's body, should be avoided, IMO.

Oh, and the reason I've gone to AN was when a *plastic line* split as my Mopar went into high gear at about 100 MPH (at probably the 850' mark), which immediately covered the whole windshield with hot oil. Which then instantly ran across the side glass. While it only took a few seconds to get the side window down, it seemed like 3 days at the time.

Like I said, in the 35 years I've been running it, I've never had a problem, but then again, I read the instructions.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
5/8" Parker push lock 250psi available at any hydraulic hose supply, simply cut the old ones off and install the new ones on the old fittings.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
did anyone notice that his problem is in the small delivery line to the turbo?

Mine did the save thing and I called Harry and got a new one.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
did anyone notice that his problem is in the small delivery line to the turbo?
Yep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts