Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a run just to see how bad my car was doing with the wrong converter/turbo blowing oil. Becasue of these, I can only powerbrake up to ~1600-1800rpms and can't even get a # of boost. I ran a 15.1 @ 100mph. The time is low, but the mph looks very promising. I have seen that most cars running in the 100mph zone run in the 13s. Is that correct? I am just trying to figure out how much of an improvement a stock or 2800 stall converter will make in the 1/4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So first tell us what all of your mods are.EVERYTHING.Youre being too vaugue.If you have an adjustable wastegate you turn the boost up by hand to whatever you want the octane wont make your boost spike or anything.Whats your 60ft times and try being real heavy on the foot brake and also use your e-brake youll hold alot of boost at the line.93 octane chip i wouldnt go with more than 15# boost on the street.If your real serious about getting a good time slip give me a call and ill try and help you as much as i can.484 802 1557.1100am till 400pm or friday night....dave good luck.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mid 13s would be about right...you probably are losing time in the first 60' or so....sounds like low 13s to me with a good converter....

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I know the feeling. I ran 12.7 on a stock turbo & converter years ago. Went this year with a TA-49 and my tranny shop replacement converter & ran a 14.1 with a 2.9 60ft. Only goes to about 1700-1800 like yours with no boost. top speed is about 102-103 so the converter makes a big difference! uzi Tranny shop!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Green top injectors
adjustable feul reg.
bosch plug wires
red armstrong 93 octance chip
cold air kit w/9" KN
Chrome junk everywhere...maf/ inlet pipes from/to intercooler/ turbo shield/ etc...
2" drop
poston headers
3" poston downpipe
2.5" exhasut w/ flowmasters
possible feul pump upgrade??? haven't checked yet
prev owner did all of this
200r4 w/ 3rd gear starting to slip
improper converter(1600-1800 stall)
replaced 225x50x15!?!?! with 235x65x15s all the way around(with a 2" drop and mufflers hanging below the frame so far you could basically see all of the mufflers!?!?!?!?!?...scraped on everything!)
got mufflers tucked up under body
the TV cable had been at 5 clicks for a while(moved it back to 4 recently because I think that those 6000+ rpm shifts are the reason that my vavle springs are sooo noisy(atleast I assume that's what all that clatter is...i sounds like im low on oil, not though...my grandad though that the rods might have worn the rocker arms until they had a grove("nipple") that causes the noise)
pretty sure that's all...
ran the 15.1 @ 100 on 91 octane becasue thats the highest avaliable in Amarillo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah... forgot to add...
justasix???, man that sucks!
also, so a higher stall converter could let me reach a higher top speed? why?
what do ya'll suggest I do next? after replacing the stall converter ofcourse(speaking of which, where can I get a 2800 stall from?...Poston sells one but after my whole weatherstrippinf fiasco I am leary about ordering their's)
thanks!
wesley

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you have 65s in that size, your tires are a bit taller than stock and that does not help either at this stage of tune.

Shifting at 6000 rpm is a surefire valvespring killer-stock engines are typically dead at 5200 rpm with regard to power. Assuming you were using an aftermarket tach to monitor rpm as the factory one is probably way off by now.

Valvetrain noise could be low oil pressure, worn cam, lifters, rocker arms/shaft, etc.

With regard to your boost, be sure the factory Y is installed correctly in the boost control hoses.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
With the tranny slipping and wrong converter this needs to be done first. No bolt on or tune up will make up for this. Mike Kurtz (Century Trans) is down your way. I would contact him for the trans and converter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, those were 60s...so the size is only like a tenth of an inch bigger.
Also, I'm thinking of eventually switching to Walker Ultraflows because they are quieter(want a quiet sound because I'm going to hook up an electric cut out and want to be quiet when running w/ mufflers)
Do they have that sound at higher rpms that sound all hoarse like the flows...my GN/Mustang both sound like they are dying at higher rpms, while my GTO could rev well above redline(missed a gear once or twice due to worn shifter) and sound mean as all crap with its turbo mufflers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts