Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another EGT question from me.
It looks alot easier to install the probe in the header tube that branches toward the turbo. Will this work. Does anyone know the diameter of this tube?

TIA
ES

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You are talking about a pipe other than the up pipe that the turbo sits on?

I would think that it would be better to have the up pipe which represents flow from all cylinders rather than one that did not.

Re explain so I don't have to go look at an engine...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to amitt it but YOU are right. Temp for one might not be same as temp from all. Heck I cannot find anything easy to do, guess I will change DP again as that is getting easy for me the more I do it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
it's easy to install it in the up pipe..just install the clamp prior to drilling the hole and be sure there is room for everything before you drill the actual hole.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
In a round about way, I figure, the best way to use an EGT on a motor with cylinders... is to tune to the leanest cylinder. This is the one most prone to damage. The Up Pipe is the best average, I have also read the hottest point?! And a good constant.

However, I would start with a "power plate" to "tune" air flow and even things out. Then using a band style "probe" determine the most consistantly lean cylinder. Drill and probe there.

Personally, I am going to drill and tap probe bosses into each header tube, plugging up the unused ones. This is for later endeavours using an EGT that can switch between probes from the "****pit".

In a simple means: With the Power Plate installed and a single probe in the Up Pipe... you should be alright.

Just my thoughts,

------------------
Michael Lis
87 Vortec SS
87 Turbo T http://geocities.com/CanadianSkunkWorks/index.html

[This message has been edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe (edited February 06, 2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts