Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, my new TA-49 just blew. Kirban wants to replace it with a new TA-49 from Precision. I might be willing to sell the new TA-49 I will get from Kirban for $500. It will have the factory warranty from kirban. It is a brand new turbo. I just want to get a TA-49 from John Craig. I hear his turbos have a better reputation. I want to go with reliability, not a cheaper price. So I might just buy a new turbo from John Craig and sell the brand new turbo Kirban sells for around $675.00 to someone for $500. It will still have the factory warranty. Does anybody think this sounds like a good idea? The John Craig turbo is around $950.00. Yes, its more expensive. I am just looking for quality. I don't want to have to replace this turbo again(till its supposewd to wear out)! Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good ol' Steve (thats not a remark about your age) is always there for a quick answer! Yeah, I'm really on the fence with this one. Maybe thats what I will do. I just don't wanna go through the trouble of these replacements if things go wrong. By the way, how hard is it to replace a turbo yourself? The biggest things I have done is my heater core, and my starter, radiator. How much skill are we talkin here? Could I do this myself? What do I need for a job like this. Money is a little low for me. I don't wanna pay somone for installation. Any info would be great! Thanks again Steve!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Steve's right.You've already spent the money.However,why not send it to John Craig and get him to check the balance and ass'y if you have any doubts.Won't need parts,and should be much cheaper than taking a loss on yours and buying a new one.
I bought a T63e from Harry a few years ago and immediately had it torn down,balance checked.I buffed out the housings,modified the bushings,bored out the wastegate hole for the THDP.
Now I know the darn thing is right.Jimmy rebuilt my stocker three years ago[bush and balance,no seals,cheaper],with the eye to my putting on the big boy.Well,I've had so much fun with it that the compressor seal is *Finally* leaking[remember this was not replaced at the rebuild],so it's time for the Big Boy and the V-1.Just in time for my trip to Green's.
Hope that helps.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
my PTE turbo is almost a year old and I check it for play every once in a while, still tight and good. No complaints.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Grannynational (edited May 04, 2002).]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
What went wrong with the Turbo?? Since there is a lot of TA49's in service.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

[This message has been edited by ULYCYC (edited May 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by BooBoo231cu:
Good ol' Steve (thats not a remark about your age) is always there for a quick answer! Yeah, I'm really on the fence with this one. Maybe thats what I will do. I just don't wanna go through the trouble of these replacements if things go wrong. By the way, how hard is it to replace a turbo yourself? The biggest things I have done is my heater core, and my starter, radiator. How much skill are we talkin here? Could I do this myself? What do I need for a job like this. Money is a little low for me. I don't wanna pay somone for installation. Any info would be great! Thanks again Steve!
Patience would seem to be 1 thing needed on a turbo exchange.
Another wise investment would be to change out the oil supply line to the turbo.

A guy in my town here had his turbo replaced.
Whoever sold him the turbo said to replace the line supply line when he put the turbo on.
Well. Not to long after putting the turbo on, it crapped out on him.
They company asked him if he DID replace the oil supply line and he said...... no.
I guess that oil supply line was just "TO EXPENSIVE" of an item for him to replace.
Other things to have around....
Wouldn't hurt to have a medical kit handy either and a case of beer for that "I did it
and it works celebration"
HTH Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Replacing a turbo is easy unless it has been 10 years since it was last done. Might take you an hour. Be sure you have the oil return line gasket available although I have often reused the old one if not too old.

I have never replaced my oil supply line altho it used to be suggested in case it had trash in it or was coked up.

I have never seen a coked up one and you can always take it off and clean it out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I've never replaced mine either.Never had an ounce of trouble.Of course,I guess Steve and I are "special" cases,or is that with cases of "Special".Not quite sure.Now where's that opener?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In response to the question of "what went wrong with the turbo?" The compressor wheel went. I had a load (still does) of oil in the intercooler. It was all in my throttle body. All the components you guys spoke of are new. New actuator, oil line, and hoses. Its been on less than 5,000 mi, so I should be good with the ease of removal. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by Zap:
They have an Olympics for "special" cases like you and Steve.
Yes and they have cages at the Zoo for "cases" like you.So how'd you get out?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts