Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like title says - wandering.........what to expect from this build?

So I blew up my motor two years ago, spiked the boost.

I started collecting parts shortly after - got alot of good parts and I am starting the rebuild. So far heres what I have:
4 billet caps
rjc girdle
bored .030 over
4340 steel stock stroke crank
4340 h beam rods
j&e pistons
212/212 comp roller cam, degreed in
double roller t chain
modded timing cover w/new melling pump
thourghly worked over 8445
ferrea ss valves, set for 130# seat press
kenne bell roller rockers
82 lb injectors
70 turbo, john craig
monster front mount

thats the motor so far. not sure of trans i'm gonna use yet. any suggestions? rearend is pretty well built auburn 31 spline with moser axles and 3;42 gears and t/a rearend girdle. cant decide on a fast or factory computer with a chip, again any suggestions? keep in mind this is gonna be a street car.

any feedback would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
If your building a strictly street car you might want to research that 70 turbo.
Your going to need a torque convertor to match it. I would look at smaller turbo
on a street car something like a 6262 for a quicker spool.

The XFI vs Chip issue is well documented..If you have a good understanding on tuning i.e VE tables, timing, etc. Then get an XFI setup from one of the vendors with technical support. If your not, a good Turbo tweak or Extender chip is an excellent choice for a street cat.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
easy 9 sec set up.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
easy 9 sec set up.
....but it might not run 9's on the first few trips to the track. :eek:

To answer your question with anything but a wild guess we also need to know about YOU. Have you raced before? Have you built and tuned a TR before? What track do you run at, what suspension set up, what is the elevation of your track?

These are ALL important questions that must be asked. If you gave the car to Grumpy he could probably make it into a 9 second car, but it needs a good driver to get that time from it. If you gave the car to a local guy who only knows Chevies than it might only run 13's after he is done with it. :dunno:

That turbo is good to the 9's / low 10's but there is more than just a turbo involved in getting a decent time out of one of these cars.

Good luck in getting to your desired goal, that is the enjoyment of the trip with one of these cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe he is building a street car..not necessarily a 9 second track car.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
I believe he is building a street car..not necessarily a 9 second track car.
ours is a STREET car. well over 9k miles so far this summer. He has a little more than we do. Car is "capable" BUT like TWIN86GNS said "but it might not run 9's on the first few trips to the track". Just having all the "parts" really doesn't mean squat. Tuning and all the other crap that goes with the engine combo (built trans and converter, fuel system, eng management) is just the tip of the iceberg :sw:

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
If you gave the car to a local guy who only knows Chevies than it might only run 13's after he is done with it. :dunno:
thats hittin the nail on the head. Remember back in the 80s when these were new ?? That was a BIG learning curve !!! I was a retired carburetor guy with his first FI car.. Just pick away at the car like we had to back then. It's def a LOT easier now !! :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well about me - i have raced before - 64 malibu with a nice 468 and t-400. ran high 11's all day with drag radials. And just to be very clear - this is my second turbo car. but i really dont count the first, a turbo coupe t bird. as far as tuning - i better stick with stock computer and tt chip, lol. as for trans / turbo 350 built up with a 3200 stall. suspension is a umi lower and umi adjustable uppers, pinnion is set to 4 degrees. fuel system - a double 340 walbro and 1/2 line to front of car feeding a set of fuel rails i made from piece of fuel rail stock from summit(i work in a machine shop). but it will be changing to a a1000 and dual filter system soon, 10 micron then 100 micron. as far as turbo - i have a te63(needs rebuilt)ran it for a long time has up/down play. I just got the 70 cuz it was a deal. 400 fresh rebuilt. now as far as tuning - if i go with factory with a tt chip, I am thinkin on seeing if turboburick in chicago will help with tuning/tweaking, but my goal for this is low 11's to mid 11's. i know - way overbuilt. rear tires - 295/50/15 m/t drag radials/front 235/60/15 on champ 500 centerlines. track that i will visit on occasion/rare occasion will be the old us41 dragway in morocco in. like i said this is gonna be a street car. no roll bar no harness full interior with a/c. did i cover everything?

oh yeah - exhaust - atr headers and downpipe into 2 3/4 bgc duals with flowmasters exiting behind rear tires

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
leave the fuel lines alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.