Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my first engine went south because a wiped Reed cam and now the talk of wiped roller cams (which I am now running), I think I want to block off the oil bypass to keep all the crap in the filter. Maybe this will save the internals. I'm currently running PTE's Turbo Saver which always brings filtered oil to the turbo. What is the down side of blocking it off? How do I do this? I only have about 500 miles on this engine and I do not want to be yanking the intake every other weekend to take a look. This cam situation reminds me of a carnival or circus game. "Spend your money and take your chances." Or is it a sucker born every minute? I thought the R&D was done upfront by the cam companies. But as I read the horror stories I realize that the R&D is being done in the field by the comsumers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only real downside is that you have to make sure the engine is warmed up before you start driving (reving) it hard. Otherwise you risk blowing off oil filters.
I still remember Louis Lopez using three lanes in Bowling Green to try and get his car to stop after the filter blew off and 5 quarts of oil got pumped under his tires

If your oil pressure is still as high as when I built the engine, you will really have to watch it.

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get a "biggie" oil filter system on there and you'll have less chance of blowing the filter off. The larger filters have alot more surface area (less restriction).

Mine's blocked and I have this filter. When I put the bigger filter on, my oil pressure went up about 5 PSI even at hot idle, and it was good to begin with!

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts