Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting the Jay Jackson 62 mm Throttle body and upper plenum upgrade done to my car. My question is "Will it help, hurt, or do nothing for me?" My mods are: TE-60,K&N cone,160 therm.,ATR 3" terry-style d/p,custom chip,009s,Kenne Bell boost-a-pump and MM adj. reg.,and a 3,000 stall converter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Fast, but wanna be faster!!!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
OneLethal87GN

I just got mine back from Jay (Great guy)and it is not on the car yet so I can't give you a first hand opinion, but from all that I have read and researched it will help. Do a search on the other boards as well and you will see lots of thumbs up to the mod. Most claim better throttle response, and with the mods you have done, freeing up and restrictions in the air flow path can't hurt. I have heard of no downsides to this mod. And besides the price is right

HTH
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I did some very meticulous tuning when I installed the Jay Jackson 62mm TB. I am positive that it boosted my car 1.5 tenth and 1 MPH.

There was a big controversy about the results I posted about the larger TB. Do a search on this board for "62mm" and read some posts. It was a cyber-circus. Guys would straight up argue with me about how it was impossible that it makes any difference and started tossing out stupid meaningless fluid dynamics formulas.

I am here to say, if your car is so out of tune, it may not help. Then again, neither would a larger turbo.

If you know what you are doing, you can definitly take advantage of more air entering the motor, with less restriction.

Thumbs up.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jay does a very nice job. I think for the "rebuild" factor alone it's worth it. I saw improved throttle response on the street. That's due to more air entering the engine with less throttle movement. I however can't say I saw any e.t. or mph gain at the track from it.

------------------
Chad Schwartz (Mr. URL Sir-Links-A-Lot)
"The Need For Speed" Website
Cars, pictures, movies, screen savers, tech info, links, and more!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have given this some more thought since posting last night.

I bet you will only see an increase in performance using the 62mm TB, IF you have the MaxEffort, or another open loop chip.

Let me explain.

Chad, you use a "regular" chip, correct? One that uses the BLM table to monitor O2 and deliver the correct amount of fuel, no matter if you have a small or large opening in the TB. The ECM is in control of how much fuel is used at any given RPM with a "regular" chip. The affects of your TB upgrade are probably negated by the ECM and it's BLM matrix.

With the MaxEffort, it's almost as if the car has been converted back to a carb setup. All parameters are controlled by the operator. WOT, idle, spool up fuel, are all "set" values and are not modified by what the O2 reports.

When I added the 62mm TB, I changed nothing else, including the parameters of the MaxEffort. This means I let more air into the motor, and essentially forced it to run leaner due to the lack of additional fuel for the additional air. In my open loop operation, I believe the addition of the 62mm TB made such a big difference, it showed up on the timeslip. Maybe all things would be equal if I richened up the MaxEffort in every range, and got the air/fuel back exactly to where it was before the TB upgrade.

Do I want to experiment and try to slow down? No. This upgrade can't hurt your performance, and as we all know, every little bit helps. I'll recommend it to anyone, no matter how much flack I take.

Hope that helps.
-mike

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
345 Posts
I changed 3 things a once (I normally don't): Jay Jackson TB, modifying my doghouse and 275/60 BFGDR's.

Before: 12.0'[email protected] with a few 11.9's and a 114 best.

After: 11.7'[email protected] with a [email protected]+ (and some even quicker/faster 1/8 miles times than the 1/4's indicate, because I got yelled at for no bar)

The boost was the same for all runs, because my lock nut on the actuator hasn't moved: 22 psi. T108 Static chip for blues.

Some of it had to be the TB. If not, it gave me an excuse to modify my doghouse

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.