Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will DS read the a/f of a wide band 02? I want the benifits of a wb but can't afford the whole ball of wax which I believe is in the $700-800 range? I can buy the wb sensor now then add the bells and whistles when the $ avails.

Also, will my T+ work in conjunction with a WB?

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just picked up my LM-1 for $300.....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
HellOnWheels said:
Will DS read the a/f of a wide band 02? I want the benifits of a wb but can't afford the whole ball of wax which I believe is in the $700-800 range? I can buy the wb sensor now then add the bells and whistles when the $ avails.

Thanks
PLX devices....

You can get a WB alot cheaper than 700-800. And yes the PLX WB's come with a WB and a NB signal wire. Just hook the NB signal wire to the buick ECM NB term and the scan master picks it up. I'd suggest installing the CAP though. Mine jumps around a little I think this is why my car idles odd at times.

I think this is one of the cheapest complete units that still look nice.

I'd go for one that datalogs personally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46100&item=4637478750

This one is only $200! but I don't like the multimeter type display...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1&categoryId=27605&searchItemId=317699&CT=999

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
To answer your question, No. DS will not read your wide band. If you purchase a LM1, the unit has data logging capabilities for playback thru "Windows". HTH, Brian

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
fuelie6 said:
To answer your question, No. DS will not read your wide band. If you purchase a LM1, the unit has data logging capabilities for playback thru "Windows". HTH, Brian
I disagree.... If you use a PLX WB unit it will. My DS reads my WB02 out put just fine.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
the question really is..."how correct is the 0-1 volt output of the wb?"

Particularly of interest to me is that the our cars recognize 0.441 as stoch rather than 0.500. I don't know if this is an external software fluke, or the actual number.

I also know that some of the suppliers say "use at your own risk" as it is a manufactured number rather than being the identical output that the oem sensor produces.

Based upon various comments across the spectrum, I would be very hesitant to use the wb 0-1 output to replace the factory sensor.

But, to answer the original question, no, one cannot use DS to directly read wb A/Fs.

One can add an additional input on the ecm and plug the wb output 0-5v into it, and then command line DS to read it out...but, it will be volts, not A/Fs

·
Registered
332 Posts
VxTurboxV said:
PLX devices....

Just hook the NB signal wire to the buick ECM NB term and the scan master picks it up. I'd suggest installing the CAP though.

I'd go for one that datalogs personally.
:dunno:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
http://www.plxdevices.com/AppNotes/PLXApp004.pdf

From what I am reading as long as you have a 0-1v NB sensor U should be in the clear?

The NB wire on the gauge reads from 0-1.1v and translates this to A/Fs. Then displays them on the gauge. I have my grey NB wire going from my gauge straight to the ECM NB 02 input so at idle and cruise the ecm adjusts my mixture according to the NB readings. Works great.

The attached PDF shows the ranges....

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
VxTurboxV said:
http://www.plxdevices.com/AppNotes/PLXApp004.pdf

From what I am reading as long as you have a 0-1v NB sensor U should be in the clear?

The NB wire on the gauge reads from 0-1.1v and translates this to A/Fs. Then displays them on the gauge. I have my grey NB wire going from my gauge straight to the ECM NB 02 input so at idle and cruise the ecm adjusts my mixture according to the NB readings. Works great.

The attached PDF shows the ranges....
That PDF shows the characteristics that they mimick with their NB output. It doesn't say, those are the NB's (on the PLX) output AFR's vs Voltage.

The ecm only toggles the AFR over Stoich to achieve an AVERAGE AFR of 14.7:1...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
HellOnWheels said:
No.
Some of the WBs offer a NB output, but it's just toggling the voltage across what the ecm consider to be 14.7:1.

If you want data logging, and reliable set up, then IMO, Innovative is the way to go. The base *kit*, is ~ $340, you can add the extras for TPS, and RPM data logging at a later time. Just having a WB meter is well worth the money.

A WB is a tuning aid, so yes, using that information, you can effectivley improve the tune of a T+ using that info..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
okay, Bruce...after reading some of the Innovate stuff, your comments are timely. :)

If one programs the wb to place the desired stoch point at 14.7 for ecm switching, do you have any idea how closely the factory nb is actually tracked? I am assuming that the wb picks up the true 14.7 and consistently provides a switching point based upon this number.

Is the factory unit also consistent for this point with regard to temp, pressure, etc?

And, as I wondered above, does the .441 that we display for stoch come into the equation, or will .500 now be the switching point as we look at scan tools?

I understand more modern tools show .500 as the point so I am kinda assuming this is external to what the ecm is looking at?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts