Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, we only have to wait one more day to pick up my new gn, but i've been looking into insurance, and i'm having some trouble.

number one. noone seems to know anything about these cars. how rare and collectible they are. so, geico (my regular company) says that if the car is totalled, i'd probably only get the value of an 87 regal. because that's what's on the title/VIN. what the hell?

hagerty won't insure it because it's not worth 20000 or more.

to make a long story short, i need good insurance that will give me the value of my car if it gets taken out.

what insurance company do you recommend

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i had nationwide and loved them.. i have progressive now and they arent bad eather.. look in to grundy

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how's the weather in illinois?

zam70, how's things in illinois? mom said it got up to 72 there the other day. were you able to take your car out?

i really miss being in illinois. lived in decatur all my life. my whole family still lives there (decatur, peoria, springfield, champagne, bloomington)

the only good thing about NM is the usual year-round sunshine. the mountains are nice too.

my mom works for state farm, maybe she can get me a good deal for the grand national's insurance. i almost forgot.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Get the car appraised by a someone who knows these cars & then tell the insurance company you want that much if totalled.
Agreed value is what I have & the insurance was surprisingly not that high. That way you know what you get if something happens!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent idea!

So, you're saying that i can tell the insurance company what i want, and they can give me that coverage?

I was wondering why companies don't offer that? maybe they do, cause if i'm goona pay for it then i should get what i want right?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
See my watch out thread,I meant to reply to this one ,but I hit the wrong button:eek:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
excellent. thanks for the replies. i want to make sure if, God forbid, anything happens to it that i get what it's worth. i'm gonna look into progressive. thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Watch Progressive - they will use aftermarket sheetmetal in a repair. Other than that, they are a decent company.
The NADA link above will give you all the evidence you need for the ins co. It is what they go by (IF they know you know about it)

72! Where's she live....Highest it got was 62...still a nice change though. Didn't get the car out, it is severly incapacitated at this point and time (cage being put in, turbo out for a rework IC out for a swap etc...)

How long have you been away from IL? Ever go to Sundown Car Stereo? I used to work there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok...I have done extensive research on this subject, so here is my 2 cents.

First off...is this car gonna be a POS that you run at the track? If so, go with any insurance company and dont worry about it.

Now, if you are alot like me, you have quite a bit of $$$$ invested in the car, and you want to make sure that if some scumbag steals it or totals it, you are covered. Here is where "Stated Value" insurance comes in. You have an agreed upon value, so there is no guess work. You still carry the same limits, but when it comes time to make a claim, its pretty cut n dry. I used to have Hagerty Insurance, and man did they suck! Expensive as hell, and customer services was just b-a-d bad. I have looked into many companies since, and decided to go with a company out of New Jersey called "Condon & Skelley" Where I was paying $580 a year (you have to pay for the whole year upfront) for $25,000 agreed upon value with a $500.00 deductible, Condon & Skelley was $320.00 Do the math!:eek:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah, my car is in great original condition with a few mods, and it needs a few things to be show worthy. i will drive it regularly, and MAYBE take it to the track once, just to see what she'll do.

i probably don't have as much tied up in my car as you (just brought it home today!), but i want to feel safe knowing that if something does happen, i'll get what the car is worth. i'm going to have an appraisal done on the car and i'll have the insurance policy tailored to that appraisal, just like you have.

i know it'll be worth the extra money in the long run.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stealth....

Just remember, that the big companies like Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, State Farm etc....DO NOT DO STATED VALUE INSURANCE!

You need to have classic car insurance to have any chance of getting an "apprasied value" on your car. Otherwise, they will go off of the blue book for an 87 Regal...and we all know what that is worth!

Trust me dude....I have done extensive research on this matter for my 87 GN with only 19k on it. It is show quality, and I do drive it. However, people are dicks...and you never know who is lurking around the next corner ready to take you out!

Save yourself the headache and frustration....call one of the classic car insurance companies and have piece of mind!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, that's what i'm talking about. i'd love to do that. i am willing to pay the extra money for piece of mind.but since mine isn't show quality, and driven, the classic car companies won't insure it.

ROSE, WHAT INSURANCE COMPANY DO YOU GO THROUGH???

my car is in great shape, just not show quality. what else can i do but get progressive or geico???

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
First question the classic companies ask is how old are you. Then your driving record and how many cars you own. You have to be over 25, clean license and the car can't be your primary transportation. You have to have another car insured in your name. After you pass this there are many companies that will insure you. NM is a low crime state so it should be OK. Since your mother works for State Farm you may be able to get there Exoctic/antque policy. They have both Stated and Agreed policies. Make sure you get Agreed Value. Mine is insured for $19,500 (Agreed) But I also have 4 other cars listed and my homeowners policy as a package. I know a lot of people are switching to Grundy. They seem to have the best rates at the moment. Also Insurance companies and different polices and clauses for different states.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unless your car is worth (appraised) more than the NADA guide says, You DON't need "stated value"... Here's what it says right now -

1987 Buick Regal
2 Door Coupe Grand National

MSRP
Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new $15,136
Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $7,950 $13,550 $20,950

Total Price $7,950 $13,550 $20,950
Average Retail Price represents a clean vehicle in good condition and is assumed to have a NADAguides.com Clean Title History. Looking to purchase a new car? Get a free quote from a dealer near you. Obtain used car financing rates as low as 4.40% APR. Selling your vehicle? Print a checklist and the required DMV Title & Registration forms to complete your sale. Sell your car through AutoTrader.com, and get the most money for your vehicle.
Other Vehicle Information
NADA Recommended Mileage Range: 112,000 - 115,000

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i got asked all those questions, plus they wanted to know if i kept it in a locked garage. i don't. i live on an air force base, which is probably safer than keeping it in a garage. this other company said they couldn't insure me because my other vehicles 64 chevy truck, and 87 gmc conversion van are more than 10 years old. that's rediculous.

i just called grundy and for full coverage on a stated value policy of 10500, it's 179 bucks a year. that's an awesome price. i can't pass that up.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
As far as I understand Grundy will only pay a claim"IF" the car is going to an event(car show,rally,etc.) or a special nite out. A trip to Wal-Mart or 7-11 and in the event of a claim will be denied. I drive my car to work 1-2 days a week when it's dry and on weekends when it nice. It is also my primary trip car,so I need the proper coverage just in case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give Condon & Skelley a call...they are out of New Jersey, and Metropoltain underwrites them....

They will insure you...just tell em that You hated Hagerty and want someone else....they will jump at it!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks,do you have a number?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Condon & Skelley has a mileage limitation of 2500 miles annually. Also all the classic Ins companies have strict guidelines. You have to see which one matches your needs best.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts