Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one with the .82 garrett exhaust housing (I think they came that way). This thing needs a rebuild. All sloppy and blown out.

Anyone know if it's worth rebuilding?

What HP does it support?

Hows the lag?

Anyone using one?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to have one. Maybe that's my old one :) I don't think it was a very good combo with the .82 hsg for its intended uses.

Todd

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
save your money, Mike.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Mike,
Can't think of any other input on it other than what I gave you before. Do you want to use that turbo in particular?
Using a fairly accurate HP calculation my dad's car was putting out between 400-410 w/that turbo. Can't remember the exact #'s right now.. mph was in the 114's and vehicle weight was no less than 3650..guessing that or 3700 ish..I can find out if you want..Also, that was with stock injectors.
I don't remember him having any problems with lag..He was able to build 15 psi of boost on the line. (I raced it a couple times and if I remember correctly it came up pretty quick)
I used it on my car and ran in the 114's w/stock inj's and intercooler, but for some reason the boost didn't seem to come up as quick on the line...around town it wasn't bad at all though...
Well, there's a little more insight..HTH
Randy

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. I talked to Harry at Precision and he said this turbo is crap. He said the stock size exhaust wheel is too small to drive the bigger compressor wheel, which would result in header back up.. He made it sound like it would actually hurt performance rather than help.

Now I am wanting to confirm that this mystery turbo really is a Stage II Garrett piece. Randy, who knows if we are talking about the same turbo.

Best I can describe it..
Has 49 size compressor wheel
Has Stock size exhaust wheel
Has .82 garrett exhaust housing

I don't doubt Harry's word, but who knows, he could be comparing it to a TA-62 and therefore this thing is automatically junk....

By the looks of the replies in this thread.. this turbo doesn't look very popular.

I found a new turbo resource in Orlando and may have this guy look at it.. If it's cheap enough to get it rebuilt, I may play with it.. Maybe I'll go take a picture of it and play name that turbo.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mike,
As far as what's available today I guess you could say that it is crap. It is a VERY old turbo..I think it was one of if not the very first upgraded turbos to come out. I know the piece I have is a Stage 2..It came from a reputable source. Back then I think the claims were like a tenth and a mph or something...It was squat. I wouldn't use it unless that was all I had (which was all I had when I started
) That's why I asked you if you wanted to play with that piece in particular. I would have to measure it if you want to know the sizes..I don't off the top of my head.
It's definitely not a popular turbo...
I don't know of anyone else saying they had one.
What are you looking to do?

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts