Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with a hard brake pedal at times, and found that I still have the cast proportioning valve. I want to upgrade it to the brass one.
I might be able to get it done on the recall if I am lucky (Which was 1990....)hehe
Has anyone swapped this part and found improvement?

------------------

Best time so far: 12.78 at 107.5mph on radials, 2.05 60 ft
Stock Turbo/injectors/Ford Powerstroke IC.....
Car weight without driver 3625 lbs

G

·
It sounds more like your accumulator bowl is going out, it's that round ball in the side of your master power unit. Is your brake light flashing, or does the pedel go hard and and then soft after a split second. That's what mine did. Never heard of the proportioning valve going bad but with these cars you never no.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The cast prop valve should be replaced... I still need to do mine, but at $60 from the dealership....

Unfortunately it was only recalled in Canada. You can get the service bulletin off the GNttype.org board. Take it to your local Buick dealer and bend their ear. For a brake recall I think they'd be all over fixing it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the vacuum setup, no powermaster.....I am in the process of bugging the dealer.
I just installed a lineloc, and could use a good power brake bleeding anyway. Two birds with one stone hopefully.......

------------------

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Unless you have a personal friend in the dealership they will turn you away when they see a linelock and vacuum brake conversion. I think Canada GM has a reimbursement program but. You buy the parts and install it. Bring them the receipts and the car so they can see it on and the will pay you parts and labor. You may have to bring the service manager a case of Labatts

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The recall is still on, just got the brass valve installed free of charge.
Get out there and take advantage of this!

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
The hard brake pedal is most likely your accumulator GM part# 818038507. See if your pressure switch has been changed too. It is the switch behind the master cylinder resevoir. If it is gray, it has been changed, if it is black, it hasn't. It is still under recall. If your Accumulator has a large yellow warning sign on it then it had been changed too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted above, no powermaster, vacuum setup......

------------------

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Where did you get the vacuum booster and master cylinder?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any donor car....Mine was on the car when I bought it.

------------------

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If you can get the parts cheap enough I would go with a new master cylinder and then the vacuum booster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts