Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering were you happy with the rebuild and did they do an awesome job? I am thinking about taking my trans to them to have it rebuilt to mid-low 11's capable. I've heard some good things from them and I hear they use PTS parts and Bruce from PTS recommends them. Anyone else have comments about them? I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Supposed to be good..one of the PTS mafia so they ain't gonna say anything bad about him. Far as I know, tho, he is good.

Lonnie Diers is probably pretty good, too, --think he is part of the mafia too. :D

Eric is another one and we know he is good, but, you cannot afford to ship to NJ, I suspect.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Vince Janis?
Don't even hesitate.
I talked to him in BG this year[even let him talk to Bruce T. on my cell for 20 min.'s].
He's a straight up guy,no B.S.
As a professional tradesman myself,I would use him in a minute,if necessary.
I think that's saying something.

angrymou
Sorry,i had to use that just once.
It's priceless. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got mine back from Vince Janis a couple of months ago. To make it short, take it to him the guy is straight up with you my tranny is awesome. And yes he uses PTS parts. Look to spend around $2250 for a rebuilt.

:)

Good Luck!!!
Rob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Geez, wonder more don't switch to a 400.

Maybe you should ship it to Eric.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The reason the price is $2250 is that i have all the billet parts in there. Mine was built to handle a 9.80 car but i won't see that. My car is a mid 10 second car. There were people at Bowling Greene that was in Red Armstrong group that had Vince Janis rebuilt trannys. They were low 10 second cars and been running the same tranny for 4 to 5 years with no problems. Go on the PTS site and you will see how much the billet parts cost. Like the drums, shafts and so on.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
what he needs is a price for a standard rebuild.

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually $2200 is very nice for that kind of tranny! i just want a standard rebuild that will handle mid to low 11's without a sweat and i want the shifts to be dead on perfect and firm at all times...i was figuring laying down around $1500 including either a 2800 or 3000 stall...so it sounds like this guy is pretty good...i think i will give them a call next week and get prepared to take out my tranny...he better know what he's doing because my tranny is TOAST right now uzi stock tranny

·
Registered
121 Posts
I paid 1300 for mine from vince, nothing special, full rebuild. This included a tranny cooler, new mount, and new tranny lines.

This dosnt include 600 for the 911 converter tho.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
kturch:
I paid 1300 for mine from vince, nothing special, full rebuild. This included a tranny cooler, new mount, and new tranny lines.

This dosnt include 600 for the 911 converter tho.
Now, that is more reasonable and in line with what he needs.

As far as a 400 goes, for a street car like Don's, one can sure miss 4th gear in a hurry, and the 200 is more fun, in general, on the street.

But, when it comes to a serious race car that is not a daily driver, why spend $2500 when you could buy a couple, or more, 400s?

BTW, I have billet stuff in one of my cars so I know what the parts can cost. :)

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey i am trying to decide which converter to get with this rebuild...should i go 2800 or 3000 stall? which turbos work awesome with these stall speeds? i want to someday upgrade my turbo to a TA-54 or something similar that is capable of mid to high 10's...i kinda want to sell my te-44 turbo and get a bigger turbo for my stock motor so i don't have to cram so much boost in my motor by running 27 psi...with a stock motor will a bigger turbo be more efficient? i figured if i get the trans done right i might as well get a really good turbo...the te-44 just isn't as powerful as i would have hoped...i mean it's way better than stock but i need something that will make my car SCREAM

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: d0n_3d ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They say the new GT series of turbos don't need as much converter. If so, I would go with a 3200 stall converter in a smaller diameter, obviously.

But, if you want to run tens, then you will probably need to add some better guts to the tranny before you try it too often. :) You can upgrade later and the main additional costs will be the r&r if you pay someone else to do it.

My best advice is to be happy with mid 11s and leave the tens to someone that likes to throw money at the car regularly. :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
To build a 400 tranny, expect to pay about $2K with TC or more. (good parts, lower 1st gear set, HD sprag etc.) Those mentioned are super great tranny builders. Surf Air can ship trannies anywhere, about $100 from MN to NY. You need to make a shipping crate to be safe though. A lot of people got their trannies back broken by UPS etc. About 5 good re-builders I would use myself. Your Choice. Gene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts