Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes they are not as cool as the Turbo Regals or GN's but N/A Regals are still damn nice cars, does anyone else have N/A Regals they modded? Well so far with mine (1987 Regal Limited with N/A V6) I put in a Q-jet carb, open air cleaner with PCV hookup, and a better coil. After I get new GM door weatherstripping I plan on putting in rear sway bar, high flow exhaust system, and KYB shocks. :cool: I do not plan on street racing or anything like that, just a daily driver but it still does not have to be a wimp. :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I've got a white w/blue half top w/blue interior '86 Regal. It's a base model with no power windows or locks, but it's one of the cleanest, most enjoyable drivers I've ever owned. I'm just putting some lowering springs and wheels on it and that'll be pretty much it for the dress-up. I've amassed most of the parts to convert it to fuel injection using a '86-'87 intake assembly, a non computer controlled distributor, an aftermarket EFI fuel pump and a MEGASQUIRT fuel injection ECU. It should make for a nice overall driver.

Adam

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is cool putting in a EFI system, good luck on it. I had a hard time just putting in a computer Q-jet to replace the worn out computer D-jet in my car. I still have to keep the computer system mostly stock so it will pass the NJ LE tests. Plus I have to save up for the GM door weatherstripping because they are not cheap but looks like it will fit right.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Buick Runner said:
Yes they are not as cool as the Turbo Regals or GN's but N/A Regals are still damn nice cars, does anyone else have N/A Regals they modded? Well so far with mine (1987 Regal Limited with N/A V6) I put in a Q-jet carb, open air cleaner with PCV hookup, and a better coil. After I get new GM door weatherstripping I plan on putting in rear sway bar, high flow exhaust system, and KYB shocks. :cool: I do not plan on street racing or anything like that, just a daily driver but it still does not have to be a wimp. :cool:
'78 monza wagon?

My backup work vehicle for 10 yrs. 10 years ago it leaked down in the low 80's. I did not overhaul it. The oil pressure was 3-22# hot idle/cruise. I put a 4.1 intake on it, re-did the oil pump, recurved the distributor and added an adjustable vacuum advance. Opened 1 can of Q-jet magic- it gets 22-23 mpg and will easily outrun a 305 midsize. Car is 2700#. It is retired now but still runs good. Serious worn out.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is somthing what a Q-jet mod can do to the N/A V6s :yup: .

·
Registered
732 Posts
Q-jets have a number of inherent problems. It is an extensive subject. They are great carbs for street cars w/16" vacuum or more.

In the old days of class racing, alot of cars were forced to run Q-jets. I started rebuilding/modifying them in the late 60's. I tried to price myself out of working on them. When that failed I just quit in '01.

The last one I did was a straight rebuild at my leisure, for the son of a 30yr friend. $200, but i threw in externally adjustable part throttle enrichment, bushed the throttle shaft for free.

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
My first car was an 86 3.8 NA. Here is what was left of it after my brother took it for a spin.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
JohnLarkin said:
Those secondary rods are worth their weight in gold if you have a good selection.
Yes. For those of you who need them, Edelbrock supplies a near complete selection of tune up parts, including all the performance letter (k,l,m,etc) size secondary hangers.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody makes computer carbs anymore so I had to use the Q-jet I think they are good carbs for driving which is what they are meant for. If you were going to use a N/A car for racing you probably just rip out the computer system but I need it to pass the tests in NJ but it is still a fast car now. :yup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts