Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fighting an exhaust leak and high blms. I pulled off the drivers side header and the ball flange that the crossover pipe connects to is egg shaped. Does anyone know of a person in the Toronto area that has experience making this flange round again? I am reluctant to take it to someone that has not done this before.

I have contacted Selmon's Exhaust and he can fix it but is on vacation right now for a few weeks and I need this fixed in the next week (place that I have the car parked got sold).

Or, let me know if you have a good set of stock headers for sale. That is option #2.

Thanks,
Devon

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Don't bother trying to fix it. Not worth the effort...and ya' won't get 'em round again. I just had Norbs fix the crack in a drivers side header...and I think we now have a set. PM 278CIKILLER...and ask if he still has them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He already sent me a pm. I will be going to check out the headers tomorrow. I may need to get my crossover pipe worked on to make it round again as it took the shape of the header flange. I should probably do this before bolting it up to the new headers to prevent any damage.

Thanks,
Devon

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Post for a used crossover pipe. The one you have will never seal. If you have the finances...grab a new one from Kirbans. I can't stress enuf how important it is to have ZERO pre turbo leaks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post for a used crossover pipe. The one you have will never seal. If you have the finances...grab a new one from Kirbans. I can't stress enuf how important it is to have ZERO pre turbo leaks.
I figured that the crossover pipe would be fairly easy to make round again using an exhaust shop mandrel. At least it looks like a simple enough connection as compared to the header joint. I will likely try to get it round and then post for one if it doesn't work. I suppose the concern with using a mandrel to correct it would be making it too large.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a set of headers and crossover pipe from a fellow member. I try them out in a couple of days.

Thanks for those that replied.

Devon

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The headers / crossover pipe I picked up are leaking at the same joint. This may be because I had to cut the weld holding the clamp on the ds header and clock the clamp 10-20 degrees to avoid interference with the steering arm, so maybe the clamp was slightly out of round and now it does not press evenly onto the ball joint.

I was thinking about welding a v-clamp onto the ds. The ps joint has no leaks so I am inclined to leave it alone. Is replacing with v-clamps a common fix? I suppose you need perfect alignment for it to work.

From what I have read the headers are ss 409, but what is the material of the crossover?

Where is a good place to buy the v-band connections in the GTA?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
The headers / crossover pipe I picked up are leaking at the same joint. This may be because I had to cut the weld holding the clamp on the ds header and clock the clamp 10-20 degrees to avoid interference with the steering arm, so maybe the clamp was slightly out of round and now it does not press evenly onto the ball joint.

I was thinking about welding a v-clamp onto the ds. The ps joint has no leaks so I am inclined to leave it alone. Is replacing with v-clamps a common fix? I suppose you need perfect alignment for it to work.

From what I have read the headers are ss 409, but what is the material of the crossover?

Where is a good place to buy the v-band connections in the GTA?
Fuk I'm a nice guy. I have a new SS crossover pipe I bought from a member on the board here. Ended up being some POS Chinese knock off. I got Norbs to fab and weld it to fit to the exhaust manifolds...which it does perfectly. Unfortunately this thing's so fukd up that it hits on the PS lower control arm. I cleaned out my garage this week...and it's currently laying in the back of my 1/2 ton destined for the smelter. If you want...get your butt out to the shop in Bowmanville around noon tomorrow...and you can have it for free. Maybe you can do something with it. Let me know.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuk I'm a nice guy. I have a new SS crossover pipe I bought from a member on the board here. Ended up being some POS Chinese knock off. I got Norbs to fab and weld it to fit to the exhaust manifolds...which it does perfectly. Unfortunately this thing's so fukd up that it hits on the PS lower control arm. I cleaned out my garage this week...and it's currently laying in the back of my 1/2 ton destined for the smelter. If you want...get your butt out to the shop in Bowmanville around noon tomorrow...and you can have it for free. Maybe you can do something with it. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer! I will send you a pm.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After some messing around with the drivers side header I picked up, I think my exhaust leaks have cleared up... At least there is no more smoke from them while using seafoam. Do I need to brake stand it into boost while checking with the seafoam or will checking at idle find all exhaust leaks?

The car seems to be more responsive, and spools quicker. I have not been able to really test it out as there is fuel in the oil from high blms so I don`t want to pound on it. I was hoping that my high blms were caused by the exhaust leak however the blms are still 145-148 so I am out of luck. I will try using propane tomorrow to check for vacuum leaks. Has anyone used propane? Is it obvious when a leak is found? I have read that you need to have the car in gear while using the propane. Would this cause more of a stumble / rpm change if a leak is found?

Devon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts