Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to lower the mounting position of my rear upper control arms where they bolt to the chassis in the front. I need to lower the position by .75".
Does anyone on this board fabricate these or know of someone who can?
Thanks to KEVINS for helping me try to solve my chassis problems for launching.

If I left out any important info, let me know. Looks like this may be a hard thing to do. Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
talk to Kendall...he is the greatest fabricator south of the Mason-Dixon line

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Kendall MacGyver, aka Dr. Frederickstein? I hear he was making motor mounts out of a potato and some toothpicks last time we talked. Wait, that was the real MacGvyer making a bomb. I recall Starsky and Hutch getting a tractor to run on lamp oil once. They adjusted the carb also. Geniuses I tell you!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yep, that is the man!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I liked it when McGuyver welded stuff with a car battery, then proceeded to tow vehicles with the resulting top quality weld. headbang

Danny,

I looked into this on my car. Essentially, you'd need to weld flanges with the new bolt holes into the rear crossmember, which would probably require cutting/modifying the crossmember. I don't see it being a bolt-on. The best option would be to clearance the current upper crossmember and make a new tubular one forward of the current one, allowing for longer upper arms. Of course, that'd probably put it up into the floorpan..

Chuck "Sheeper" Leeper has a prototype girdle that relocates the mount points at the rear end..I believe Mike whatsisname in P'cola is thinking about selling these. I know..you want his name and I can't think of it right now. :confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured this would be a pain to do. I will have to crawl under the car to see how hard to can be. After viewing my control arm angles how they never intersect on the car, it's something that I have to do.
Thanks Kendall. I will contact Chuck Leeper. Who is Mike Nelson?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike Nelson

[email protected]

Mike is in Mary Esther, FL...whereever the heck that is. He sticks mainly to the mailing list. He's a machinist and has been doing some suspension work. Another good guy.

If you lower the car about an inch, the lines will probably intersect. The fronts of the upper arms are a B**** to get to.

Dick Miller sells a girdle that lifts the rears. If you use a Ferd 9" rear, the rear of the upper arms is raised a bit as well.

After looking at the hassle to get to the fronts, I decided to see what/how Chuck's or Mike's rear mods work/cost. Mine is lowered so it is not so bad.

For anyone that is interested in playing with suspensions, Performance Trends has a nice bit of software that makes it easier to compute stuff than drawing it out....called 4 Link Calculator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts