Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found that Kirban does, does anybody else? Not looking to lower, just stock type replacement to regain stock ride height and recoil. Mine are sagging. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Go to your local part supply store and ask for cargo coil rear springs for a 87 Buick GN. Most places carry Moog and that's pretty much what Kirban sells! :cheers:

·
Registered
360 Posts
springs

just put in a lift kit and 26" wheels like all the idiots do... :rolleyes:
i'm looking for mine to join them......NOT :poon:
does'nt eibach or hotchkis sell factory replacement springs?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The cargo coils will raise the rear of the car big time; if you want that hotrod look. I've made that mistake, when I wasn't looking for them. We carry both the cargo coil as well as the OEM rear coils.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which would be better the cargo or the variable rate?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Personally I don't think the cargo coils give you that "hotrod" look. IMO I like how the GN's sit with them. These cars always sat low in the back as is. Shipping springs would be crazy as any auto parts store near you sells them just as cheap as anywhere you could order them on line. I would go to your local auto supply store and see what they have. In the book when they look them up it will tell you how much higher the cargo coils are compaired to a stock replacement. My car has new shocks (IAS performers) Stock replacement springs in the front with stock tire size and cargo coils in the back with air bags. I only run 8psi in the bags. I also run huge Nitto's 275/60-15's on the back so it makes it look higher then anything. Here is a pretty much straight on shot. Keep in mind the car will sit higher till the springs settle in. I'm going with a little bigger front tire next time around to make it sit up a bit..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Even tho I should like the '50s look with a lowered rear end...I like the hot rod look as pictured above

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Go with a progressive rate spring.Preferabally one made for a G-body. It will ride like a Buick and handle like a BMW. I have put cargo coils on every car I have that has a trailer hitch. They too are progressive rate. The ride height stayed the same more or less. But I wouldn't put them on a TR. The hot rod look is great as long as there is not a whole lot of air between the tires and the sheet metal.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Before I bought GN #2 in 1998 the previous owner had installed cargo coils (I have all the receipts) and I still don't like the way the car sits. I am lazy and broke otherwise I would have changed them by now to regular coils. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TWIN86GNS said:
Before I bought GN #2 in 1998 the previous owner had installed cargo coils (I have all the receipts) and I still don't like the way the car sits. I am lazy and broke otherwise I would have changed them by now to regular coils. :D
What didn't you like? Did it sit too high, too low?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As an aside, I once, long ago, bought the gsca springs...damn car sat an inch and half higher in the front, than in the back...that is when I realized that I did not like the '50's look. :D

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Steve Wood said:
As an aside, I once, long ago, bought the gsca springs...damn car sat an inch and half higher in the front, than in the back...that is when I realized that I did not like the '50's look. :D
When I see something sitting high in the front I picture a stupid kid in a compact truck with the air bag suspension. You know those guys. They cut the floor out of the truck box and than cruise 30MPH on the interstate with the nose pointing north and the bumper sparking when it goes over a tar strip.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put Moog variable rate springs in two TR's and they worked great. No bump in ride height and stability increased.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm using a set of kirbans variable rate rear springs, it might have raised the car up maybe a 1/2" at the most. I'm using KYB shocks all around, for now.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
DonnieShort said:
What didn't you like? Did it sit too high, too low?
The rear cargo coils in my car make the car sit a bit too high for my liking. Eventually I will install variable rate rear springs, and I am sure that I will be happier with them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TWIN86GNS said:
The rear cargo coils in my car make the car sit a bit too high for my liking. Eventually I will install variable rate rear springs, and I am sure that I will be happier with them.
How do they feel in the back? Too bouncy, too firm? Too soft?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
have them on the T....I like them

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
DonnieShort said:
How do they feel in the back? Too bouncy, too firm? Too soft?
On the road, the car feels fine, but in a parking lot and going over a speed bump the rear feels like it is going to "hop" over the speed bump, it just isn't very smooth.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Have the variable rate w/

kyb's in the rear w/28" tires. It improved the handling and I like the rake, but the front springs need to be replaced. The stock location IC is only 4" from the ground. :dunno:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to have to do the rear's and the front's. I'm gonna do the rear's first then the front's a little later. I've got to do shocks on the front as well, the 90/10's have been on there for about 5 years and I can tell they are getting weak, front end is starting to get bouncy on the highway. But boy does the front end rise up easy when you drop the hammer :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts