Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summit has Hooker Aero Chamber, Hooker MaxFlow, FlowMaster 2 chamber, FlowMaster 3 chamber and Thrush muffs. Which 2 1/2 muffler would be the quietest? I know quiet = restrictive. I'll just take the cap off the TH test pipe when I go to the track. Thanks.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Well, you know what I will choose. I will not say though, so let's see what kind of answers we get here..

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
all i gotta say is ULTRA FLOWS!

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 85k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon hopefuly
shooting for low 13's high 12's

i'm smarter then zap!! :)
better looking the zap
and have a better sence of humor then swood.
but, damn i'm good!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Aeros should be the quitest...but taking the cap off might make a little more noise but really won't open up the flow...it will continue taking the straightest path.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hay come on guys, how about some good info about mufflers. I got 1 vote for AeroChambers, 1 for MaxFlows and 1 for Ultraflows. How about info on the Flowmaster 2 or 3 chamber mufflers? I'm looking for freakin' quiet! Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My father has the Hooker Aerochambers on his GN. They are quiet but have a nice, throaty sound on acceleration. If "throaty" makes any sense to ya.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Flowmasters tend to be louder and really drone. They are also a bit more restrictive.

The Ultraflows and Maxflows are similar construction and the noise really depends upon the engine combo. YOu got a couple of Ultraflows....

The aeros are more restrictive and quieter.

If you want really quite, then I would go with a Random Tech high flow cat and the ultraflows..

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Throaty is good.

I'm looking for quiet. How quiet you ask? So freakin' quiet that I have to look at the Scanmaster O2's to see if it is running down the road. So freakin' quiet that I can hear the bass out of the 6 x 9 triaxs I have in the rear package tray. So freakin' quiet that Barbara will ride in my GN without getting a brain tumor. Oh well, you get the idea. I'm old and I want freakin' quiet. Wow, I feel better now!

·
Registered
349 Posts
So exactly what is it you're trying to say Bill?

I haven't heard alot of them, but the A.Chambers are somewhat quiet, yet sound good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by Turbo Bill:
Summit has Hooker Aero Chamber, Hooker MaxFlow, FlowMaster 2 chamber, FlowMaster 3 chamber and Thrush muffs. Which 2 1/2 muffler would be the quietest? I know quiet = restrictive. I'll just take the cap off the TH test pipe when I go to the track. Thanks.
going to go and get a 2 3/4 ss system with the ultra flows,on the 86 t-type have been hearing that they are the quitest, have the hooker system on the GN but they have a heck of a drone at 55 and faster,let you know how it sounds,going this tuesday. Jr.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
have the hooker system on the GN but they have a heck of a drone at 55 and faster
Did your Hooker kit include the SuperComp Mufflers? Silver in color and real light?

If so, then yes, you will have a horrible drone with those mufflers. They are paper thin and very cheap. Here are my muffler adventures.

Bought the car and it had some muffler shop special on it. Homemade Y pipe, gutted cat and cherry bomb mufflers. That's right, cherry bombs. It was very quiet. It was also very slow.

Bought a TH DP later on and installed that. Whoa, what's that drone noise?

Couple months later, bought the Hooker Kit. At the time it came with the SuperComp mufflers (yuck). Installed the kit and WOW on performance. Car picked up like .5sec at the track. I believe this was a combination of the Hooker Kit and the THDP.

After 6 months with the SuperComps they seemed like they were getting louder. The drone got so bad that I didn't want to drive the car and it was unbearable. I would drive around with the windows down, or stereo blasting just to deal with it.

Then I bought a pair of MaxFlows. The drone (which has always been right around 1800rpm) was much better, if not gone in comparison to the SuperComps. I am very pleased with them.

Then I added an IMMAutospecialties trunk kit and it quieted the car down even more. Why? I don't know, but the stiff board they use in their trunk kits happens to be some sort of insulation anyway. Do I want to take the trunk kit back out and see if it's louder? No... but I know it made a difference.

So now with the Hooker Kit, MaxFlows (which you can see straight through), THDP, test pipe, Champion heads, big turbo...ect you would expect the drone to be unsatisfactory. It's not.

Now if you are not a track commando or don;t care to use a straight through muffler, the AeroChambers can be used in place on the MaxFlows. Matter-O-Fact, the Hooker Kit now includes the AeroChambers. Same dense design as the MaxFlows, but slightly chambered I believe. These mufflers should be even quieter than the MaxFlows. With that said, I know guys with the AeroChambers deep in the 12's. Kinda the best of both worlds.

It's all about the density and construction of the muffler. Drive your Buick over a draw bridge one day at maximum drone. You will notice the car gets SO quiet that it's obvious to what is causing the drone. Resonating sound waves soaking through the skin of the mufflers, and unpleasantly bouncing off the ground into the car. When you cruise over a draw bridge, the ground is somewhat removed from the equation and you'll see what I mean. The first time I noticed this I was driving over a draw bridge in Jax Fla and I thought the car stalled!

So is it worth buying SS mufflers? NOPE. I believe it's all about finding a high flow muffler which is dense, thick and of good construciton.

Just my experiences.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I have the Hooker system with the Super comp mufflers. They have been on for 6 years no holes or rust yet. Yes they are loud but it's great. When my wife talks all I can say is "wait till we get home I can't hear you"

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by JRGN:
going to go and get a 2 3/4 ss system with the ultra flows,on the 86 t-type have been hearing that they are the quitest, have the hooker system on the GN but they have a heck of a drone at 55 and faster,let you know how it sounds,going this tuesday. Jr.
It really depends upon combination.

I have a 2 3/4" system with ultraflows on one of my cars and it is loud as heck when I get on it. I think it is the cam that determines the ultimate sound. Mine is not as loud with the 210 roller as it was with the 221 deg flat tappet.

G

·
Okay guys . I have have had both Maxflows and Aerochambers. The Maxflows are quieter period. I had an old hooker system in my car with the Super comps, those Muffs suck! Then I put in the Maxflows. Then the exhaust rotted out as it was the old design.I bought a new kit with Aerochambers. I tried them , they do sound great. But the case on the Aero is ever so slightly wider which for some unknown reason caused them to hit the front lower control arm bolts. After trying just about everything, i decided to try the Maxflows on the new system to check for interference problems. Well they did not hit anything and i was surpised to hear how much quieter they were.

The Maxflow has a constant diameter perforated tube with packing in the whole case of the muffler. The Aerochamber 1st goes through a exhaust funnel then into a huge expansion chamber which is almost rectangular in size. Only in this chamber is the sound deadening packing. The Maxflow is gonna be quieter.
HTH
Louie

------------------
http://www.gnttype.org/carofthemonth/archive/sub1/comdetails.html

Louie Lopez

1987 GN
GN 1 heads & intake,1.65 T&D's, 214/214 , JC TE-45,TH DP, V2 IC, PMAC, BT 9/11 LU,Stage Right, 72# MSD, Hooker Exhaust

436 hp 549 ft tq
@ 19-20 psi,100 octane,20deg

95 Ford Lightning
One rusty car trailer

[This message has been edited by Screwie Louie (edited January 06, 2002).]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
But the case on the Aero is ever so slightly wider which for some unknown reason caused them to hit the front lower control arm bolts.
If you ever had a chance to run the car without the Aerochambers touching anything, I wonder if they would indeed end up being quieter. Tough comparison since any contact between the car and exhaust can cause major drone.

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Anyone here ever try that "impala" brace that ties the ends of the rear frame rails together? It supposedly works on g-bodies as well. Reportedly changes the resonance of the body and greatly reduces drone?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Can someone clearly define what you mean by drone? I have the hooker system but not sure what muffs, I'll check in the morning.

I think my exaust sounds great and it is very quiet. It has that nice girgle during idle, but doesn't get much louder under acceleration. I love showing people that loud does not equal fast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts