Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after experimenting with different PCV's, I have come to the conclusion that they only work for a few weeks, before you can blow right through them, in either direction. I attribute this to getting oil and grit inside of them, and then not obtaining a seal when they should.

So, question is: Where do you get those little brass check valve things I have seen for sale at Bristol? Can't remember what vendors have them. Or, does anyone have a lead on where these things come from, either Grainger or the like?

Thanks for any info.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
39 Posts
ATR has them

------------------
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited-T 12.29 on street [email protected] 1.73 60' Stock motor, stock tranny, stock turbo, stock injectors, modified neck stock intercooler, 62mm TB, ATR 7th injector, Dual Deadhead Alcohol injection, 3" DP with dump, southside lift bars, 2800 stall convertor, Hot wired Walbro 307. MaxEffort 8 position custom thumbwheel with: fuel out, MAF lock, knock nozzle enable, and variable timing 18,20,22,24,26,28,34 degrees.
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Tel.716-422-9678 8:30am-4:30pm EST
Methanol/Alcohol Regulated & DeadHead Injection System Kits and Parts.
http://www.servtech.com/~racerx

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
What a coincidence, I just ordered one today, $19.95. Mike, I blew on 5, new in the package, and none was sealed tightly. The thought of losing boost is one thing but dumping it into the crankcase is another. I remember what it was like blowing a head gasket and dumping boost in the valley.

Mike, remember the last time I was over I mentioned I appeared to have a slight leak?

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of leak?

rut roh..

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver

G

·
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
Ok, after experimenting with different PCV's, I have come to the conclusion that they only work for a few weeks, before you can blow right through them, in either direction. I attribute this to getting oil and grit inside of them, and then not obtaining a seal when they should.

So, question is: Where do you get those little brass check valve things I have seen for sale at Bristol? Can't remember what vendors have them. Or, does anyone have a lead on where these things come from, either Grainger or the like?

Thanks for any info.

These are available from Pete Tomka direct, or through Kirbans and possibly other vendors.

------------------
Clayton
87 GN: 307FP hotwired, adj FPR, Tomka Cold air kit, Stock turbo, injectors and IC,MM 3"DP, Red's 93 street and Lubrant 110 race chips
Turbolink with boost sensing, Nitto DR's on stock rims
Best time: 12.51 @ 109.18 mph, 1.83 60' @ 20lbs boost

G

·
Originally posted by Chuck:
Mike S.

If you want, I'll go in with you and split the shipping charges. My PCV is only a few months old and already bad.

PCV valves usually don't go bad. Have yet to replace one. Cleaning them usually restores their operating efficiency.
But, with new ones, their blow-back sealing effeciency is terrible.
Believe it or not, the older they are, the better they blow-back seal.
The constant hammering of the pintle on the seat creates smoother surfaces which will seal better.
But, we use and recommend Tomka's PCV checkvalve kit, cause it offers immediate 100% blow-back sealing efficieny, without having to wait for the PCV valve to eventually cure.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had mentioned that I had a slight leak and it appeared to dripping off the x-over pipe. MOF, I think I left a spot in your driveway.
Yes, quite a large spot too. Is that rear main already?

Then again, your PCV is wide open, so you are probably spouting oil all the time. (under boost at least).

------------------

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Chuck, let me in on the PCV check valve deal. Oh yeah, I'll check with Kenne "Sure its in stock, it'll ship tomorrow" Bell about the rebuild kit :0

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like I need to order one myself, just did the rear main seal thing, and don't want to do it again any time son. I'll go ahead and throw a new PCV and a check valve in it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Mike, didn't see this post before your "best time one" so disregard the check valve comment...
I got mine from ATR, but I've seen a few other nice ones out. Not familiar with the Tomka one. The only complaint I'd have about the ATR one is that I wish it was a little smaller. It is narrow, but a little longer than I would prefer. Very rough estimate but I think with hoses in both ends exposed part is about 1.5". I also cut a little material off the nipples at each end.
Randy

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
11.31 @ 118.6 w/a 1.59 60' on 245/50 Nittos leanin' out bad
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
129 Posts
A little tip here..Use a power brake booster check valve.You can suck through it,but you can't blow it!! $1.99 at your local parts store. In the help section usually,mine came in black.If you are mechanically able you will figure how to incorporate it into your existing pvc line. Stop wasting money on gimmick parts that make the companies rich.My $.02

------------------
te-62,009's,cas frt mnt,3700 stall,hooker exh w/race magnums,nitto's and much more!!!

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
ok, if my pcv isnt working properly will it cause me to leak oil?

Joe
--------------------
1986 Grand National
13.22 @ 105mph
K&N and a paperclip

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most likely.

If the PCV is overcome by boost pressure, the crankcase will become pressurized and can spit oil out, the pan gasket, intake gasket, valve cover breathers, rear main seal ect..

Not to mention, you are wasting precious boost that the turbo has to create, it's that little bit that may not be making it into the plenum.., but into the crankcase for waste.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts