Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to increase my octane, this 91 crap here in CA is not cutting it. Where do I buy chemicals like Xylene?

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
not sure on the xylene but have you tried the NOS octane booster? I run 92 octane with the NOS and it works great.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sherman-Williams.
Might invest in alky kit, cheaper in the long run. About 300 for the SMC kit.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't waste your money on octane boosters...at best they cost the same as a gallon of xylene and, at worst, they foul the plugs. When they say, they raise the octane up to four points, they mean from 91.0 to 91.4.

Paint department of any home improvement or hardware store will carry xylene and sometimes, toluene. See if it is cheaper in the five gallon cans if they have that size.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can any of these chemicals be harmful?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by shaunchrisc:
Can any of these chemicals be harmful?
Xylene and Toluene are known carcinogenics. Be careful not to get any on your skin....

Just use common sense in handling...

[This message has been edited by CDNGN (edited January 12, 2002).]

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean harmful to my car, but I will be very carful handling them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by shaunchrisc:
I mean harmful to my car, but I will be very carful handling them.

Oh, sorry!

Good fuel injector cleaners. I add several drops of Marvel Mystery Oil to a tank as both chemicals are very drying.

If higher octane unleaded were available near me, I wouldn't bother with the brew, as the cost would be comparable.

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
I run 92 with the nos octane booster and i can actually feel the difference. haven't tried the xylene though. will have to try that but is it safe on my turbo? my air fuel mixture goes through the turbocharger on the carbed model.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
507 Posts
pat83t,
watch out, you can feel a difference because you had knock and knock retard before the octane booster was added. Don't blow a head gasket on the 92!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts