Turbo Buick Forums banner

When to change the oil?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KEVINS 
#1 ·
I run Mobil synthetic and it has been almost exactly 3000 miles since my last change. It was also my first change as that is when I took ownership.

I am under the impression that with synthetic you don't need to change the oil at 3K.

When do I change the oil on a GN? I pull the dipstick and it looks like new. Is it time anyway even though it looks good still?

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

#2 ·
I go 4000 mi. before I change mine in my cars & truck.Its just starting to get dirty then.

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit 86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & matched intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,CC 206-206 cam'Postons headers,Orange stripe conv.THDP,2 1/2 exhaust'Hooker comp. mufflers'SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

#3 ·
Altho a lot of us tend to change our oil at 3000, I believe that the filter needs changing more often than the oil if we were to deal in fact. I seldom do, tho'

3000-4500 should be fine. Use the biggest filter that will screw on.....The "biggie" filter adapter is a wrorthwhile investment in my opinion which allows a considerably larger filter.

#5 ·
pretty hard to look at oil and say it is dirty....the additive package in the oil discolors and gives it the brown look...maybe black is a good indicator...oil is cheap tho....change it and be done.

#8 ·
It was originated by David Chase and is manufactured by Jason Cramer. Most of the vendors, Conley, et al, have them. It converts to the non-metric filter used by the big blocks. It comes with a PF24 or the Purolator equivalent and i think there are some even larger filters that fit but I hesitate to name numbers in case I am wrong.

The PF24 or equivalent is much larger than stock or the 52.

You remove the factory adapter and replace it with the non metric adapter....about a five minute job.

It's a nice piece and offers much more filter area.

#10 ·
Just a passing thought about oil. The viscosity/weight chosen can br narrowed down to car usage. ie, heavy traffic, stop and go; hard driving (including racing); excessive idling, starting engine (dilutes oil); excessive heat in any or all of the above, including very hot/cold weather; oil discoloration; its no big revelation that these things affect type/weight oil to use. I just pay heed to a lot of these engine builders about my oilneeds are. Sorry about the lateness of this reply. smile!
ps: 3000 miles? as some said, can be sooner, can be later, depends on usage.

#11 ·
Your supposed to change the OIL????

Actually run your car rich and look what color your oil is. Color is not a indication for its condition, the feel of it changes and can be used... but you sorta have to know what your looking for. I always wondered how peoples oil would get dirty. I mean, with valve covers and all that, i figured unless they were adding sand into the oil then pouring it in, I dont know.. Ill try and stop thinking now.

#12 ·
I agree with David Caldwell. Mfrs of synthetics say 30k is a recommendation. Just change filters every 3k. But since this is your "pride-n-joy" you can change it as you feel comforatble with.

Synthetics don't break down like standard oils under heat and maintain the sliperyness (?) far longer. The blackness that is seen in the oil is the carbon that gets past the rings. This is why the filter change every 3K.

Regards
KS

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/ Diary_of_a_GN_page_1.html

87 GN
12.05 @ 111, 1.60 60', 15psi launch
RA107

New mods: No times yet
JJ 62mm
MaxEffort, 22psi
Race fuel only for street
No more 92 octane for this car:)

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.