Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Rod Magazine addressed this problem, June 06. Some very good info there and recommendations on oils to use. ZDDP Content is the major Problem. We all have heard this before but seeing it written again gives credence to the problem. Folks this also applies to General Aviation Aircraft Engines as they have been wearing out cam lobes and lifters. Read this Article! Gene :sw: PS. Thanks to Al Gore and His Wako Friends for causing these problem and brakes too!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I agree.
Got a link?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad someone posted a link to this article. Some very good information though. Thanks to the Old Goat SW! :sw:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone ever thought about using a special break-in oil? My machine shop has been trying this stuff out:
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=890,587_4360&action=product
and so far he likes it a lot. Got stuff in it to help protect flat tappet cams.

My machinist says that when using this oil on the dyno it only takes 2 pulls or so to get the rings broken in (as shown by power jumping up to max and no blowby out the breathers), as opposed to 4-5 pulls with the oil he was using. His cost on this stuff was only ~$3.50/qt, so 6 qts for break-in is a very reasonable $21, which seems to be worth it to me if it does what it says it does. The website price doesn't sound like quite such a good deal, but it might still be worth it if it helps.

John

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
wonder if the xp3 would work for us? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts