Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the ugly black paint off of my stock T wheels without damaging the rest of the wheel? Thanks fellas. :)

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will that get all the paint off? Sounds like it would be weak.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My stock wheels don't have any paint? Be careful what you use, some paint removers are caustic, and will corrode the aluminum. A solvent, like acetone, will soften the paint, and won't hurt the aluminum. There may be a clear coating on the wheels, I don't know that for sure. But if there is, and you take it off, then the wheels will be harder to keep clean/shiny.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ribs and the lip have clear on them. Every other surface is black. Didn't look bad at first, but then the passenger front wheel started flaking off paint. I don't want to roll like that. I'll check out the paintbrush cleaner. Any other suggestions? :dunno:

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Klean Strip Aircraft Remover..it is not caustic to Aluminum...use in well ventilated area..and weat gloves...gomes in spray,qts and gals.

edit that...it can etch certain aluminum. recomended product is Peeler also made by kleanstrip EFS459 will not damage aluminun...just dbl checked with MFG

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The ribs and rim on mine are shiny, and the other surfaces are plain unpolished cast aluminum. Bought my first "T" new (not a turbo) in 1987, and it did not have painted wheels, either.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well somebody painted them dangit, and it ain't pretty. Looks like it was a good job, but it ain't for me. Solid black or solid aluminum finish is all i like on these wheels.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Worst case, somebody had them powder coated. That would be hard to get off. But if somebody painted them with anything else, sprayed on, acetone will probably get it off, along with some scrubbing with a stiff brush. I guess somebody liked the look of black wheels with that black car.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Methylene Chloride-Based strippers work best. It even dissolves powdercoat. Work outside, wear gloves and goggles. I used it on some T rims that were powercoated and worked great. Get the product with the highest % of above chemical

1 - 10 of 10 Posts