Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it there because our pumps are above grade? Or because the filter is mounted laying flat?

......or both?

I'm designing a new oiling system and not having a flapper valve in the filter might help a litle with flow restriction.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
earlbrown said:
Is it there because our pumps are above grade? Or because the filter is mounted laying flat?
......or both?
I'm designing a new oiling system and not having a flapper valve in the filter might help a litle with flow restriction.
It's to keep the oil from draining out of the filter, and eliminating a *dry* start.

In the *R* series of oil filters, typically the GMs have them, and the Fords don't.

It's just a *flap* of neoprene, if a system is so fraile that it makes any difference, then there are issues, IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. I understand what it does. I'm just wondering why it's needed on our engine.
I'm mainly curious if it's needed because of the filter orintentaion or because the pump's above grade?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Some believe that dry starts are hard on engines, and, an antidrainback valve helps.

RK might say that it also helps keep a head of oil on the pump and assists in preventing the pump from losing prime. He might be right even tho many have used the wrong filter that has no antidrainback and lived to tell about it. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The filter is mounted high, and is horizontal. Those two things combined will let it drain. If it was lower, then being horizontal wouldn't be an issue. But like "Doc" says, it is insignificant, unless the system is just really wimpy.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
earlbrown said:
I'm mainly curious if it's needed because of the filter orintentaion or because the pump's above grade?
It's probably more about avoiding having customers complain about *lifter rattle* at intial fire up then anything else. Personally, I don't like listening to the motor rattle on a cold start. How much real damage is done, I dunno.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts