Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a wish list of things to get before I buy my GN. I was thinking of a tie down, fuel reg, pump, injectors, stat, k&n & a chip. I keep seeing this powerplate in the sigs but I have no idea what it is/does. Does this sound like a good wishlist and do you guys recommend a plate?

·
Registered
657 Posts
sal:
I am putting together a wish list of things to get before I buy my GN. I was thinking of a tie down, fuel reg, pump, injectors, stat, k&n & a chip. I keep seeing this powerplate in the sigs but I have no idea what it is/does. Does this sound like a good wishlist and do you guys recommend a plate?
Sal, most GN's already have the tie-down so if yours does not, get one. You'll want the adj. fp reg and a hot-wired pump, the stat but I'd hold off on the injectors and chip until you do a spring cleaning.
http://sl.wus0.com/quclk.go?rd=http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html&res=162&crid=23ec9f590a41c7b8&pos=1&mr=25&qu=spring%20cleaning

The powerplate is a aluminum spacer inserted b/w the intake plenum and the intake. It supposed to even out air flow to all cylinders and improve power and reduce knock. Look at http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/RJC_A_D__Power_Plate/rjc_a_d__power_plate.html

How fast do you want to go?? dunno

Most guys here will tell you to start with the basics and then look at d/pipe, injectors, turbos, etc. in the future.

HTH:cheers:

Dan canada

·
Registered
657 Posts
I forgot, the next thing to add to the list is some type of scantool to monitor what the engine is doing. yup

Without one, you risk watching all of your $$$ go up in a smoking headgasket. eek!

Dan :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the detailed reply. I would like to hit like 12.5 & I will be happy for now. I hear that this is easy & can be done with a stock engine, just a few mods. Can I do it by adding the items you mentioned?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think the secret to running in the 12s, or even the low 13s, is high octane, and more boost. Or alky injection, and more boost. Don't know for sure, my '87 is "street only", but it seems that mid 13s on 93 octane with no alky are easily reachable, even on street tires. Check the "recipes" at Gn-TType site.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My buddy's car with 200K on it and all stock except for the obvious upgrades ran 13 flats with 16psi on pump gas and a 2.2 60ft. It all comes down to the area your racing. Look at Mission B.C., it has huge trees giving off oxygen and is something like 13ft above sea level or look at tracks in polluted cities, your going to run different times in different conditions.

Bigger turbo and intercooler will take you into the 12s with pump gas, but let's not forget the most important component, tuning!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks guys. Sounds like BC can lower your et bigtime!! lol

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
sal:
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks guys. Sounds like BC can lower your et bigtime!! lol
It sure can! Lots of people go there and run the best times ever with their car. Some world records set there. Wish I lived there. frown

·
Registered
64 Posts
Due to the fact that so many of the TR's have already been modded, I personally wouldn't buy anything other than maybe a scanmaster before I bought the car. You will have a hard time finding a car that is 100% stock unless you are looking at really low mileage cars. Your best bet will be to find a car with 25-50K miles on it and some if not all of the basic upgrades like adj wastegate and fuelpressure regulator, fuel pump, etc. etc. A scantool however generally doesn't come with the car so go ahead and buy one ahead of time if you feel the need.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I ran 19-20# at the track with a powerplate and 94 octane and still got detonation. I thought those things were supposed to help? I don't know if they make a difference.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can already walk on water Steve. Now I just wanna have a car that doesn't detonate! Maybe I will have to ask the man upstairs for one more little favor. yup

·
Registered
790 Posts
What I meant was...I can walk in water. Yeah, thats it. I still get wet like the rest of us though. cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys...sorry it takes me so long to reply...for some reason this database does not send me emails when I recieve replys. I am stil looking for a GN and it aint easy frown

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts