Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After charging my Daughter's A/C system so it blows ice and ordering the new clutch assembly I was working on it today and saw drips of oil. When I investigated I found it had green dye in it so looking at the A/C compressor it was barely pissing out at the joints. Might as well do it all now! So I am getting this kit and know how to install it all but the orifice tube and oil. The seller said I should take it to an A/C shop but they charge an arm and leg. He said if it isn't done right it will burn up in no-time. Can all of this be installed and then I take it to Jiffy Lube for a charge or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...014QQitemZ330007871663QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Scott
572 Posts
Installing the compressor is not a big job on that car at all. The main thing you need to do is install the oil correctly. I noticed they show the compressor comes wtih 8oz of oil. Normally GM recommends you install the exact amount of oil in a new compressor that is drained from the old unit.

If the compressor is leaking, like yours you cannot do that. So you need to install 1/2 of the total amount of oil the system requires into the compressor. On the tag of the car you will find the total amount of freon and oil.

You need to pour the oil into the suction side of the compressor. You will have to rotate the pump by hand to get it to take the oil. Once you have the pump mounted, you should turn the pump by hand several times to get the oil through the compressor, or when you turn the a/c on it may cause damage.

Then vacum the system down for 30-45 minutes. If you don't have a pump that would be the only reason I would pay a shop to do the job.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
408 Posts
What happens if you don't vacuum the system?? I ask because my son is about to add freon to a system, without vacumming, that has had a hole in it (now fixed) for a year or more.

Bob

Mud....I converted to 134 on my 93 S10 a couple years ago....new compressor, condensor, and the orifice dodad....looks like the same stuff in your picture. Wasn't a big deal but I did feel intimidated prior to getting started. It's still OK :)

Bob

·
Scott
572 Posts
What vacuming the system down does is it boils any water and moisture out of the system. Moisture is not wanted in the system at all.

If you just add freon to a system that has a slow leak there is no need to vacum it down. But if you open the system up you need to vacum it down.

If you don't it is usually no big problem. The high side pressure may go up a little.

The best thing about vacuming the system down is to unsure that there is now leaks and also the freon goes in way faster.

If yo don't vacum it and refill the system by the small 12 oz cans it is hard to get the system completly full. Sometimes I will lay the can on top of the exhaust manifold to help the freon go in faster, just like warming a bottle of NOs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say it's a must to vacuum the system --- any water vapor left inside will freeze in the little oriface tube and stop things up.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Double check the capacity sticker on the car - had my Grand Prix GTP done recently then found out the factory sticker had a misprint. Reads something like 1.5 lbs when it should be 2.5 lbs. I'm prob using the wrong terms but to say the least I have to go back and have it done again.

Vaccuum on the system is a definite - you want to get the air out so it'll pull the freon in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts