Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from old age and vibration, what else can kill a MAF? In the last 6-8 months I've had two go bad and with the prices they're fetching these days I'm very hesitant about putting another one on till I know exactly what could be the cause.

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have not had this happen but I've seen people lose them over oil coming though the turbo. Have you checked for any?

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no oil. Not exactly sure how there would be since the MAF is before the turbo.

-Banning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sometimes comes back through due to naughty turbos.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Benny ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Lousy workmanship on the rebuilds....

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both MAFs have been factory units (not remans). I guess that after 15-16 years they just gave up the ghost.

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Banning - I know this is not what happened to you at Atco, but I have been told water will also get in there and screw it up. Driving in extreme rain used to screw up our cars, but like I said, I know this is not what you are chasing. I have a brand new in the box MAF sensor I bought on EBAY, if you want to try it, to see if that is absolutly what is hurting you I will lend it to you. Let me know.
Joe

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have always felt that filter oil could cause a problem. Mine (the element)looks clean compared to one that has had a K&N. Every so often, I run an alcohol dipped Q-tip across the element. I did the same with a friends and the Q-tip was oily/grimy...mine was just dusty. And for the past few years I haven't had a screen in the MAF...16 pos ME. I've used the KB type of "dry" filter since the car was new. I actually have two filters, one under the fender and one in the engine compartment.

It has around 140,000 miles with the original MAF. I did have DFI on it (no MAF) for about 25,000 miles.

I took off the bracket early on, so the vibrations are cut to a minimum. I also put an aluminum deflector/shield over the top of it, hoping to keep it a bit cooler. yup

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
ah, it is time to go then. I have a factory original that was on my gn when I bought it...it started getting screwy and not going to 255 last fall...with the ME, I simply reprogrammed the lock on to a lower number but it is not long for the world, I suspect.

Most originals have long since bit the dust.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Not to get off topic but, my MAF dropped from 255 when I took the last screen out. I think it has to do with the velocity/direction/pressure silly of air passing the element. With the ME I just locked it on at 237. headbang

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Never thought about the air filer oil being a possible cause. I *lightly* oil my filters, so I don't really think that's it though. I'm betting that they're just old and their time had come.

Can't wait to go MAFless. I've got my ECM & thumbwheel all boxed up and ready to send out!

-Banning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.