Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please look past my lack of knowledge on GN's for a minute. I'm a fan but not an owner. I'm familiar with Garret turbo's but all the GN stuff seems to be different in that the are letters with numbers. My question is what years had the .82 housings and what is a TA49? What years had these. I know the 86-87 have a .63 turbine, but do all years have the same compressor. I've searched but haven't found alot of answers. I'm looking to put a GN turbo on another vehicle I just don't know the differences to know what year to be looking for. I would really appreciate a qhuick lesson on GN turbo's. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No year came with a .82 housing. All were .63 A/R housings.

Aftermarket suppliers have come up with a large number of variations using different wheels and the numbering is not always consistent so it can be very confusing.

This link is not up todate with everything that is out there today but might give you some idea. The TA49 is about two steps up from the original stock 86/87 turbos.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/turbos.html

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Actually Buick offered a Garrett Stage II Turbo for the '86-'87 GN. You could get it from the dealer back in the day. It had an .82 exhaust housing and I believe the compressor wheel was the same as stock. I have (2) of these units.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
never saw that one except from KenneBell

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I was told they sold them at the dealer. Could be hearsay. Also, maybe it's called a Stage I turbo. Maybe I don't know much!

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I think Mike is correct. I remember the dealership having a Buick Motorsports accessory book with clothing, overnight bags then a section for stage 1 and 2 upgrades available from the dealer. It had valve covers,turbos, intake manifolds etc. I think it was in 1985 or 86

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Could well be.

I remember KB introducing them but it took almost a year to get one. I thought that was 1989. They really did not seem to do much on the street. Some got a bit more out of them on the strip due to the better top end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts