Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i get some ideas on a good turbo
for a daily driver please?
would like a quick spooler that is capable of low 12s high 11s
thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
What injectors and what torque converter and other mods. are on the car?

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, MM93chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,D40M2, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster,BSTC,small stuff too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
KLHAMMETT
I have noticed that you have been asking a lot of good questions about upgrades. Just some friendly advice. Go one step at a time or you will find the car difficult to tune. Too many changes all at once make it hard to isolate tuning problems. http://www.gnttype.org/resources.html is a good place to look information and proven recipies.

My two cents worth, Start with the fuel system first, Get a scan tool and boost gauge, then get a chip (Thrasher is cheap $25.00) Play with that combo until you have it set up nicely. This way you will really get to know your car, and what it likes and dislikes. Plenty of guys are in the low 12's and high 11's running basically stock setups. $$$ does not always equal faster.

Unless you are planning to spend a lot of time at the track forget about the numbers (12's, 10's whatever) You can only use so much HP on the street.

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Quick Toy:

Unless you are planning to spend a lot of time at the track forget about the numbers (12's, 10's whatever) You can only use so much HP on the street.

Paul
True people get all caught up in numbers, it's mostly bragging rights.

Just keep in mind a 12 sec car will be most everything it'll come across on the street. And too much power is a killer sometimes. I hate when I put on my street tires to cruise around and then nearly lose to someone because I buzzed the tires too much. It happens a lot and I've got a nearly all stock setup: turbo, heads, IC, Injectors.

Just my $.02 on fast street car philosophy.

14 Posts
When I bought my car a year ago the 1st pass at the track was a 16.00 I was not very happy and thought abiut selling it that very night. I started with small things and the car went faster ever friday nightnow the car runs [email protected] and you can't get me to sell it for anything. sometimes it was a pain in the ass to get it right and hell it may not be right yet. but it was alot of fun along the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a TE-60 an mine with 009 injectors and terry-style d/p. As long as you can brake-torque to bring the turbo up without going overboard and breaking 'em loose before the light even turns green, you're fine. I usually find that I can leave with just 2,000 rpm's and no boost and pass 'em in second anyways..no spin and still a victory. The best thing about the bigger turbo is that awesome 3rd gear on the highway though..Quite a difference between a stocker and this one after 55.

------------------
Fast, but wanna be faster!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts