Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Turbo T in March. It was supposed to have a brand new TE-44 turbo. I found out last night from another Buick owner that it is not a TE-44 because of the inlet bell being a 2 piece. He thought it was a TA-49. Everything I have read though says a TA-49 is real strong down lower where this turbo is ok down low but really strong in 2nd gear. I know the turbo was coming from Ramchargers. It has a Garrett A/R .60 marking on the inlet and a Precision A/R .63 on the exhaust side. The car will not spin the tires from a stop unless I torque it up. I am only running 10 - 12lbs. of boost but I am pulling on cars in 2nd gear that I didn't think I should be able to. Anyone know by the numbers what it might be. I unfortunately already bought a hard mass-air pipe for a TE-44 so I guess I will have to see if I can exchange it. The rest of the mods are in the sig.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
A 49 is about the best street turbo you can buy (44=49). How many inlet and outlet blades? Sure way to tell.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A lot of Turbo cars stock, near stock will not spin the tires without building boost. Remember you probably only have 180HP without the turbo.
If you are running 12-13 psi of boost, you are not building a lot of power.
How was the 12-13psi verified?
You are a canidate for alky.
Once you start running 20psi+, 15psi feels like you are setting still.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has a aftermarket boost guage. I have direct scan and I was showing knock if I went any higher with the boost. I believe it is false knock because I don't hear it and it has actually once shown knock at idle. I don't want to chance it though until I get the piping to the intercooler fixed. The car has a powerstroke intercooler but the piping was done at a muffler shop so at some spots the piping bends down to less than 2". It also goes into the intake at an angle. The car actually had more low end before I changed exhaust and the DP. The car might be faster than I think after I fix the intercooler because right now it feels faster at part throttle than at full throttle. I am thinking that is because at full throttle it is trying to put to much flow through the intercooler piping. I have a feeling the turbo is a TA49 which is what I actually wanted but the ex-owner talked me into the TE-44. He is in the military stationed in Japan so his cousin did all the work so I wasn't sure why his cousin didn't let me know if it wasn't a TE-44.

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts