Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"BUICK'S finest BUICK"
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just checking to see what synthetic motor oil you guys are using. Also what transmission oil are you using?

Thank you kindly,

Michael

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't have a turbo Buick, but I do have a 1984 Chev Monte SS with the original 305 small block that is original, and never been out of the car. Right now, I'm using the AMSOIL zinc formula 20W50. According to the label, it says that its heavily fortified with zinc/phosphorus anti wear additives for maximum protection, and that its recommended for flat tappets, high performance, heavy duty, and higher mileage. I don't know if it has the highest zinc content or not, but its been pretty good for me so far.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Michael,

I've been using Brad Penn 10W-40 Semi Synthetic for the past couple of seasons with good results. Am very happy with it. I know a bunch of turbo buick guys on the board that are running it too. It's also available in 10W-30 & 20W-50 formulations.

It definitely reduced my clacky lifter noise at start up.

It is readily available thru 2 sources that I have found:

RP Oil Limited
1111 Burns Street East, Unit #3
Whitby ON L1N 6A6
Phone #905-666-2313 / 1-800-335-6623

&

W.H. Lubricants LTD.
185 Frobisher Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
N2V 2E6
Phone: #519-746-7720 / 1-800-565-5229

Only caveat is that you must buy it in case (12 x US quart) qty's. Price is around $65.00 per case.

I've copied some info below on this for you (Zinc / Phosphate levels) from their website:

Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil

The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. As important as the chemistry is to the Penn-Grade 1® oils, it is by no means the whole story. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time. Also, rest assured in knowing that the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils are 100% Made in the USA.
ZDDP LAB RESULTS

We have seen the question arise on a number of chat rooms and websites about the amount of Zinc and Phosphorus in our Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oils. The questions seem to have arose after a number of people individually sent samples of our products to Blackstone Lab(s) for analysis. The Blackstone report showed a lower Zinc and Phosphorus additive concentration level then our established in house specifications and laboratory results from our ISO 9001:2008 quality control lab proved.

In an effort to clarify any misconception about our product we did our own testing and sent three virgin oil samples (each from the same identical batch) to both Blackstone Lab and Southwest Research Lab for testing. All three Southwest sample results were completely in line with our internal specifications/analysis. The Blackstone zinc and phosphorus results in all three analysis were lower than our internal specifications/analysis and Southwest Research’s lab results. The results for both the Blackstone and Southwest Research analysis are listed below:

Brad Penn Product Blackstone Southwest Research
Penn Grade 1 zinc 1,214 ppm zinc 1,540 ppm
20W-50 #7119 phos 944 ppm phos 1,319 ppm
Penn Grade 1 zinc 1,424 ppm zinc 1,565 ppm
10W-30 #7150 phos 1,139 ppm phos 1,332 ppm
Brad Penn PCMO zinc 689 ppm zinc 1,051 ppm
20W-50 SJ #7123* phos 522 ppm phos 901 ppm

*In some cases we feel our PCMO SAE 20W-50 was sent in for analysis (and not the High Performance Oil SAE 20W-50) which does contain lower Zinc and Phosphorous additive concentration levels.
The difference in results between Blackstone and SRI can be explained by a difference in methodology in analyzing the samples and not differences in the formulation. Blackstone employed measurement techniques more generally employed in analyzing used oils, while SRI employed methods more usually utilized for new multigrade engine oils. The samples provided to both labs were new oils. New oils that have not been subjected to shear often require higher dilution rates in the elemental analysis measured by ICP (Inductively Coupled Plasma) as indicated in method ASTM D5185.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Royal Purple HPS street motor oils offer several reasons and advantages to maximize performance in your gas or diesel engine. How about reduced heat, friction and wear on your engine? Or, improved fuel economy, lower emissions and longer engine component life? High performance street oils can even help on mornings when you've got to cold start your engine! Royal Purple HPS is fortified with advanced additive technology - zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives and Synerlec - to surpass many other oils. Increased pressure is met with increased viscosity to meet the demands of your modified engine with a higher level of performance and protection.

Elevated zinc/ phosphorous content
Ideal for flat tappet valvetrains
High alkalinity for extended life
Outstanding film strength
Exceptional oxidation resistance
Proven horsepower and fuel economy benefits

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think next oil change I'm going with Brad Penn 10-40. I'd love to get rid of the noisy lifters too haha. And also to add to the point of Brad Penn I've been told Karbelt sells Brad Penn.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I found Comp Cams sells an oil now. Not sure who's brand it is as I'm sure Comp Cams is not actually producing oil, but it's loaded with ZDDP. I send my oil change samples out to a lab and they come back with great levels of ZDDP. It's $60 a case shipped here in the states not sure if they can get it over the boarder. They make a 10w30 weight. They call it "break in oil" only to keep people from dumping it in their new Toyota as the levels of zinc will cause havoc on the cat on a newer car. But maybe an option if you boys can get it. I figure if Comp Cams can stick their name on it, it's got to be good for our flat tappet cams! :)

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
I think next oil change I'm going with Brad Penn 10-40. I'd love to get rid of the noisy lifters too haha. And also to add to the point of Brad Penn I've been told Karbelt sells Brad Penn.
Bring and extra arm and leg if you're gonna shop at Karbelt!!!!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I use Shell Rotella T 15/40, has high zinc and phosphorus. It's on sale right now at Canadian Tire for 59.99 for 19 litres.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BRAD PENN love the nice greenish oil. purchase at RP oil limited in Whitby.

Does a good synthetic take away after market lifter idling noise? Or does it mask the noise down?

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Good God there is a lot of bad information in here... you don't need the MOST zinc, you need the right amount of zinc.

More "Zinc" in Oil Talk...

And keep in mind for comparison with the oils below, that earlier oil industry testing has found that above 1,400 ppm, ZDDP INCREASED long term wear, even though break-in wear was reduced. And it was also found that ZDDP above 2,000 ppm, started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling. So, no matter what zinc fans might “believe”, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".
EDIT: STOP LISTENING TO THE SH*T THEY SPIN ON TB.COM! They are just trying to sell you "stuff"...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Synthetic oil is not worth the $$$:rolleyes: Use a good oil Brad Penn or Valvoline VR1 and change it often:yup: All the claims and HP gains with synthetics are just good marketing:sw:

Kevin

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Synthetic oil is not worth the $$$:rolleyes: Use a good oil Brad Penn or Valvoline VR1 and change it often:yup: All the claims and HP gains with synthetics are just good marketing:sw:

Kevin
x2

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Recommended Motor Oils

Joe Gibbs is a very good oil too. :yup:
Just a little pricey! :eek!:

You can get it Performance Improvements, Karbelt, etc...

:cheers:
dave

·
"BUICK'S finest BUICK"
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys. I am thinking about using Valvoline VR1 conventional racing oil 10w30 with a small bottle of lubegard. Has anyone ever heard of lubegard?

Thank you,

Michael

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
When I Worked at Custom Automotive Machine Shop we used EOS for assembly lube. I still use it in my GN today with every oil and filter change. Your friendly GM dealer has it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thank you guys. I am thinking about using Valvoline VR1 conventional racing oil 10w30 with a small bottle of lubegard. Has anyone ever heard of lubegard?

Thank you,

Michael
The VR1 has all the right ingredients in it. Do your self and your wallet a favour and skip the additives.:yup: The engineers designed the oil to do its job and not to let us add something and make it better. Now if your using a SM oil and wanted to put ZDDP or something in it I guess that's ok but I would just buy the proper oil for the application:sw:

Kevin:cheers:

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
The VR1 has all the right ingredients in it. Do your self and your wallet a favour and skip the additives.:yup: The engineers designed the oil to do its job and not to let us add something and make it better. Now if your using a SM oil and wanted to put ZDDP or something in it I guess that's ok but I would just buy the proper oil for the application:sw:

Kevin:cheers:
Bingo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts