Turbo Buick Forums banner

What size injectors do I REALLY need?

787 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  teking 
#1 ·
I've been told:
a. Blue tops are plenty of injector to go.....(insert time here, I've heard from high 11's to low 10's, yeah right!)
b. Waaaayyy too small for your set up!
c. Just about right for what you've got.

What's the truth? Or at least some educated opinions. I just bought this car (it's my 2nd GN but the first one was stock) and I've already leaned it out and popped a head gasket (alky injection was turned off! DOH!)

Thanks,

------------------
Richard Gautier
'87 GN, TE61, blue tops,IC and a half,Champion iron heads, Roller rockers,ported intake and plenum,70mm TB, Houston DP, no times yet!

#2 ·
SinistrV6

I would say go directly to the 50#'s with the mods you have. This way you will have enough injector to play with in the future. Blue tops aren't really much over the stock inj. Every car is different, but they seem to max out with the TE51 and very little mods. (I feel the heat coming
)

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

#4 ·
If you had a stock or T49 turbo the bluetops are great. But with a TE61 go with MSD50's.
Chips are available from everyone for them.
Make sure you have a good fuelpump. I have MSD50's & a PT54 on the way to me now. Should be here tomorrow

------------------

ED BAKER
new times soon.87-T-TYPE, T49,Bluetops,MM210Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
mailto:ULYCYC@TurboBuicks.comULYCYC@TurboBuicks.com</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

#5 ·
50's I've got 42.5 and shoulda went straight to the 50's.

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, MM93chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,D40M2, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster,BSTC,small stuff too.

#6 ·
That turbo could dip into the tens and it will take a 50# injector going full out to take a 3600 lb car into the tens according to Joe L's chart on gnttype.org

Therefore I would go to 50s at a minimum to give yourself cushion in the 11s.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

#8 ·
Here's the truth. Size the inj based on desired hp. Allow for some fudge factor. The rule of thumb is

hp desired * 0.5 / 6 = size of inj needed.

Use 0.55 or even 0.6 instead of 0.5 to get some real world margin.

For example, if you want 600 hp you need at least:

600hp * 0.5BSFC / 6inj = 50 lb inj (minimum).

This is how you size them- really, it's that easy :)

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.