Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on the other board too, but I would like a few more opinions. Here goes:

My goal is to hit 12s with 93 octane and non-drag radial street tires. My current setup is in my signature. I was thinking of getting a te44 and bigneck IC, but maybe my money could be spent better on other things. Would there be a big enough gain with these mods to be worth it? I'm open to suggestions.

------------------
Ben Pinkin

White 87 T T-Tops
THDP, Hot-wired Walbro 307, Adj. FP reg., Scanmaster II, K&N,Dual 2.5 Ultraflow Exhaust,JC 93 Chip, (SMC alchy kit and blue-tops to be installed in spring)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Hey Ben those are my goals too. Gotta have a good handling tire on the street
. Anyway if you're gonna upgrade the turbo I'd consider the PTE51 as well with the BSTC controller. Just my .02 if you are looking at turbo's. Also, if you don't have the pinion snubber, air bags, good shocks and springs and boxed lower control arms might be an area to look at 'cause wheel hop with radials is a bad thing. Good luck.

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, MM93chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,D40M2, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster,BSTC,small stuff too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anything to get more air into the motor (and out) is always going to help. A Jay Jackson 62mm and a good intercooler may help. Just try and keep the incoming air as cool as possible since your using low octane fuel. I would lean towards a CAS V4 Intercooler since I here this thing does a great job of keeping temps down. But I have no experience with this IC personally. Of course you could always port the heads if you wanted to take it down that far..
Just another penny's worth.

Kevin

------------------
87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BOOST 25-26 LBS (YEP OVERKILL FOR COMBO), BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, TE44, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
My goal is to hit 12s with 93 octane and non-drag radial street tires.
Here is my little receipe, listed in order of importance (I feel):

Transbrake
MaxEffort Chip
Direct Scan
Nittos
CAS V4
MSD 50's
TH DP
62mm Jay Jackson TB

This is a stock turbo, heads, cam, high mileage car, that is not light at all. 3750# with me in it.

Stock suspension, airbags, no pinion snubber.
Yes, I use the Nitto's, and I have to ask why would you want to hit the track with no traction??

Unless you are on a mission to go to the track and set a new world record for the fastest E.T. on radials, what the point? The most frusterating thing ever is getting to the track with your finely tuned GN only to find out you have *NO* traction....

OK, enough of that...

I believe the Transbrake and MaxEffort chip enabled my car to go as low as 12.35 and around 108mph on pump gas.

The transbrake *shocks* the rear end and really plants it good, resulting in better short times, hence better E.T.s. At the track, I get upset if I don't get 1.6x's(best of 1.64). On my next set of Nitto's, I am going to start messing with the airbag pressure and see if I can get 1.5x's consistantly. It's not that far away.

The MaxEffort *really* allows you to fine tune the way the car runs. Whether you need to mess with the launching fuel, top end fuel, spool up... it's all customizable. Without this, you will waste money, passes, gas, ect.. trying to get a conventional chip *optimized* for the track.. Don't get me wrong, it CAN be done and WILL be done with a conventional chip, but it's much more difficult. Things like weather, fuel pressure and humidity will make it tough to optimize your state of tune, especially with a chip in which you have no control over.

Just trying to share my experiences. To go anywhere in the 12sec range, I don't think you need to be looking at getting a bigger turbo.

A little example for you.

I used to have a TE-51 and all I had back then was an assortment of chips. Like Jay Carters, Joe Lubrants ect....

I went 12.29 @ 113mph ONCE. This was pure luck. I was screwing with the fuel pressure, running 25psi on pure 110oct, and could never 60' below a high 1.8, even with the T-Brake. The car was a slug off the line, but eventually picked up.

Then I wise up, go back to the stock turbo, install a MaxEffort and get to know it real well. 12.4's and 12.5's easily on pump gas and the stock turbo. I did go 11.92 @ 111.77 with pure race gas, but backed off the edge that night in fear of blowing it up (was racing 2.5 hours away from home).

It's all in the tuning, and not the parts you throw at it.

Hope that helps..

-mike

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

1 - 4 of 4 Posts