Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have come to a point where the next step is kinda up in the air. I could go a bunch of different ways with it, so i figured I would get a little input from you guys.

Ok, 1st: My ultimate goal is to go mid 11's consistently on pump gas and street tires. (be it drag radials or ET streets, as long as I can drive it to the track legally.

My current mods are: Hot wired 340, scanmaster, boost gauge, tie down, 3" DP, SMC alky, gauges, BstC, Race magnums, ported and polished inlet bell, Open K&N, and a box full of Eproms (I'm pretty sure I left something out, but thats all I can think of right now)

I can't really decide if I should go with a scan tool with more abilities (like Directscan), bigger injectors (I'll eventually go 50's), or something else?

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Hmm..mid 11's in street trim. I'd say 009's or 50's and a PT51 turbo should be next in your game plan.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by TurboJim:
Hmm..mid 11's in street trim. I'd say 009's or 50's and a PT51 turbo should be next in your game plan.

I just purchased a set of 50's that came with 2 Lubrant chips, I will probably try one of your chips next, have you ever done any chips for alky injection?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Mid 11's on pump gas?

I would say you are going to need some more parts.

More fuel. You already have the 50's, those should be fine.

Bigger turbo. Don't have any experience other than a 51 I used for awhile. It picked me up .4 and mph.

Better I/C. I think you would need a V4 or front mount.

Heads. Go champion irons. I have heard people picking up .7 using ported heads.

DirectScan. Whenever you start talk of going that fast, you need to tune the car almost to the edge, and do it safely. Get Directscan and be done with it.

Ofcourse, all of this depends on how much your car weighs ect.

I would say you need to build a low 11sec car (race gas) to run mid 11's on pump.

Nitto's should be fine down to the low 1.6x range.

The chip issue needs to be addressed and I recommend getting a MaxEffort. When you start pushing the car like that, you will need a way to fine tune what the chip is commanding the car to do. With a regular chip, you can not do that. Unless you want to bring a burner, laptop and box full of empty EPROMs to the track..
Even then, it's a crap shoot because the ECM "learns" and effectively negates changes you make with your FP.

And remember, there is no substitute for high octane fuel. Yes, the alky will suppress knock a bit, but do not rely on it like race gas.

The above information is what I gather I will need to make my car do mid 11's on pump gas. It's gone 12.35 on pump gas so far. I figure I need heads (~.4) and a turbo(~.4).

12.35 was with the stock turbo, V4 and stock heads, cam ect..

On paper, this should put me in the mid 11sec range, without doing anything else. Add some smell good, more boost and a few more degrees of timing and that should be a low to mid 11sec ride.

Any other opinions?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would go with an intercooler of your choice, FM or stock location, or some 50's. Either one of these, if you are just thinking about doing one mod at a time. I would hold off on the turbo, and see if your old one will hold out for a little longer and replace it when it goes bad.

Think about where you want to be with your car and buy once.

------------------
Craig Turley
[email protected] (1.97 60 ft)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Orlando87- Yeah to go 11's on pump gas/alky, I figure I will need a good sized turbo, an effecient intercooler (Southern heat
), and ported heads and a cam. I have a set of 8445's that are going to be ported soon. When I do the heads I will probably slide a cam in it, and replace the timing chain. I will check into a max effort, but my mods money is now about gone for this month, I picked up a 3" dp and the 50's this month. maybe next month
As far as turbo, I will either go TE44, or TE51, both will have a PTE housing if I get one. I don't want to go too big, but I like doing things once, not upgrading 3 times. Still not quite decided on the turbo, but I am favoring the 51 right now.

Another thing that I think will be a great factor to going fast on street trim is suspension. I already removed the swaybar, I am going to get the drag launch kit with 70/30's in the front and 50/50's in the back, boxed control arms, pinion snubber, and drag radials. I figure that combo should be good for some low 1.6's with a dcent burnout

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mikel,

On the suspension issue. I don't think you need to really do any work to run the times you want. My car runs 12.30's right now with a 1.61 60' time on ET streets. This is with the original stock suspension and all swaybars in place. I don't even run airbags, it is completewly stock including the old worn shocks.

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
86 GN, Stock turbo and intercooler, Alchohol Injection, 43# Bosch injectors, MM Translator Plus w/3" MAF and extender chip, Hotwired Walbro 307, Hooker 2 1/2" duals, Hooker 2 1/2" Downpipe, Test pipe
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You didn't mention your trans and converter. If it is not up to par you will loose many tenths!! Look for a competition rebuild from one of the venders in the Buick arena. A 9.5" converter will help too

------------------

ED BAKER
new times soon.87-T-TYPE, T49,Bluetops,MM210Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I second the trans and converter. While you are at it, make sure to get a trans brake. This will lower your short times, and you will be able to get low 1.6x's with no suspension work whatsoever.

I am able to cut 1.6x's consistantly on Nitto Drag Radials. This is with a 5psi launch. I am sure if I add slicks or E.T. streets without changing anything else, 1.5x's are soon to be had.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

1 - 10 of 10 Posts