Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
weather jock
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sort of torn in between how to spend the money im making from my new job.... Ill be working my old one while also getting hours at my new one so ill have lots of money to work with...

Im very tempted to go look at the 06 sti and evo 9.... although some would bash me about it.... at the very least ill have a quick car with a waranty...

on the other hand.. I could have the buick done up the way I want it and continue to put around in my little toyota.... and although most say the buick is fine... the rust is building and the miles have tallied since its last rebuild...

just throwing it out there to get an opinion... apperently the subaru dealer says he can set me up because nobody is buying...

Thanks for the help
Joe :headbang:
 

·
I piss excellence!!!
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Well Joe. You can probably guess my opinion but I will give it to you anyway. :D

Do not get a new car, not worth it especially since you just got this job and found a little bit of wealth. If your lil toyota is fine then dont get rid of it just yet. Re-do what is "needed" on the buick if a complete rebuild is necessary then so be it. I think you should save up your money and look to buy a house for yourself. That is a money maker right there. I am speaking from personal expierience as well in regards to new found money. I have been working full time while I attended college and am making a great salary for a 22 year old. So I bought a house and looking to get another one in another state in the near future. I did have to put the buick on hold for a lil bit but she understood. My everyday car is perfect for what I need which is why I am not looking to spend money every month on payments or higher insurance premiums.

Moral is, save your money for a year see what you have then see where it will be best spent (House, re-build, etc...). My goal was at least a thousand every month.

Hope this helps a lil bit. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,052 Posts
house house house ... BUT I like something decent to play with :dunno: :yup: :sw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Agreed- 2 examples:

Bought my first house in 2001 for 220k- nothing special, just a good basic starter house. Total upgrades over 3 years: about 12k. Sold in July 2004 for 505K.

Moved to Washington- bought house for 329k. Zero upgrades- est value 450k.

Buick-appreciated about 5%.

The Subaru dealer will 'fix you up' all right- right into a high monthly payment, high insurance, and a 7 or 8 year loan :eek!: :eek!:

Keep your shorts on, and don't act impulsively.

'Nuff said.
 

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
CUTLASS85 said:
Im very tempted to go look at the 06 sti and evo 9.... although some would bash me about it.... at the very least ill have a quick car with a waranty...
Stay away from buying the new car. Check out the forums for these two models. There is no warranty for the trouble parts that these monsters break!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,284 Posts
As a rule,cars don't make you money,they cost you.
Your vehicles are paid for.
Primp up the Buick and buy a house.
Grump had it right. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,052 Posts
this car paid for this :crazy: :sw: ohhh ya I was a home builder since people made mud houses :rolleyes: :D
 

Attachments

·
weather jock
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not buying a house on long island for less thank 500k for what I want... and tbh I may be getting the house im living in for almost nothing.... so for the next 5 years a house is not on my mind....

The thing with the subaru is the fact of the matter that they are the only cars my fam has owned since I was a mere thought... and we trust them... im not upgrading anything on the sucker except intake, exaust, computer, and alky....

As far as the buick goes... it doesnt NEED anything... but I am watching it quickly deteriorate from what it was when I picked it up... It had a shady past and got slammed once... Id like a fresh motor and clean paint all around... I wouldnt mind puttin around in the toyota for a while but new car sure would be nice..
 

·
I'm the Best!
Joined
·
14,818 Posts
joe.. take it from me. do not buy a new car untill you have the other job and your set. i'd put half the money you want to spend in to the buick the other in to a newer DD. jmo though.
 

·
weather jock
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my mind is almost made up.. I opened my first mag with my new subscription to GMHTP and the first thing I saw was a TR.... I think Im going to kill the sti idea for a while... Im going to hit up a few body shops to get a good idea of what it will cost me to bring it down to metal and paint it in and out...

Whats everyone's opinion on motor builders... I honestly dont want to touch anything :rolleyes:
 

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
Take the car to Shawn in Jersey (gsbean) for decent paint & body work.
I met him & would give him my car. Good People!! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
CUTLASS85 said:
Im not buying a house on long island for less thank 500k for what I want... and tbh I may be getting the house im living in for almost nothing.... so for the next 5 years a house is not on my mind....

The thing with the subaru is the fact of the matter that they are the only cars my fam has owned since I was a mere thought... and we trust them... im not upgrading anything on the sucker except intake, exaust, computer, and alky....

As far as the buick goes... it doesnt NEED anything... but I am watching it quickly deteriorate from what it was when I picked it up... It had a shady past and got slammed once... Id like a fresh motor and clean paint all around... I wouldnt mind puttin around in the toyota for a while but new car sure would be nice..
Point taken- but, getting a house is not about getting what you want- it's the return on investment that is the real deal. My POS house in SoCal wasn't my dream home; in fact, it was WAY too small for my family- 1500 sq ft, with 4 kids, 3 bedrooms, and 1 bath. I now live in a 4br 3 ba 3 car garage house, and the only debt I have is the house and 1 credit card I use for business- 3 cars, 1 motorcycle- all paid for because of that POS house.

Just think of the return you could see on a piece of property; in 5 years, when you get the house you're living in, you could take the equity from your investment property, pay off the house you get, and purchase a 3rd property that tenants will pay for.

Were you to get an STi/Evo, you'd abosulutely void the warranties by doing the simple mods you suggest- I've seen warranties declined on WRXs for suspension mods and suspected abuse (racing).

Drive the Toyota, put the $$ into profitable investments,and you'll never be sorry. Don't let that extra cha-ching burn a hole in your pocket.......make it work for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
socalgn said:
Agreed- 2 examples:

Bought my first house in 2001 for 220k- nothing special, just a good basic starter house. Total upgrades over 3 years: about 12k. Sold in July 2004 for 505K.

Moved to Washington- bought house for 329k. Zero upgrades- est value 450k.

Buick-appreciated about 5%.

The Subaru dealer will 'fix you up' all right- right into a high monthly payment, high insurance, and a 7 or 8 year loan :eek!: :eek!:

Keep your shorts on, and don't act impulsively.

'Nuff said.

I wish my luck was the same with my house! I have owned it for 5 years, many $$$$'s in improvments and am now trying to sell it to upgrade. It is listed for $2K more than I payed for it 5 years ago:( After the realitor's cut, I will lose money. Only in Cincy :dunno:


But I agree on the house if you can swing it.
 

·
I piss excellence!!!
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Hey Joe. I see where your coming from. See I thought that you were looking to do the most with your money. I grew up in an apt my whole life so I could not wait till I can afford a house and feel "normal". Funny thing is even though I have the house now I cant afford it lol :cool: like many others who own houses.

In regards to your car I would say do the whole body over first. If your car is tuned the way you want right now and is fast enough for right now then leave that part alone. I too want to do some body work will probably do it after the season is over so it can stay in the shop for a lil while. Just my two pennies though.
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
This is something I've seen time after time and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it. For some reason, rather than making the most of their dollars, car owners will often throw cubic dollars and mucho time into refurbing their cars when the logical thing to do would be to sell it and buy another one that's in better condidtion. Search the forums on motor rebuild nightmares and how expensive paint jobs cost. :eek!:
You can easily put $5K into a paint job alone and drivetrain rebuilds are more expensive than that. If you look around, you can probably pick up a real nice GN for $12K or less. After selling your current one, you'd be half way there I bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,052 Posts
stevemon said:
This is something I've seen time after time and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it. For some reason, rather than making the most of their dollars, car owners will often throw cubic dollars and mucho time into refurbing their cars when the logical thing to do would be to sell it and buy another one that's in better condidtion. Search the forums on motor rebuild nightmares and how expensive paint jobs cost. :eek!:
You can easily put $5K into a paint job alone and drivetrain rebuilds are more expensive than that. If you look around, you can probably pick up a real nice GN for $12K or less. After selling your current one, you'd be half way there I bet.

I would never have a car painted.. $5k is easy to do .. I'd just sell it and move up the food chain like Steve say's :yup:
 

·
weather jock
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grumpy said:
I would never have a car painted.. $5k is easy to do .. I'd just sell it and move up the food chain like Steve say's :yup:

I dont know If I could get half of what I paid for the thing... salage title.. thing got smashed pretty good./
 

·
weather jock
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just ready to drop 35k on a subaru... im not worried or going to scrap the whole thing over a 5k paint job... and as far as nightmares go... who was doing most of these rebuilds... im looking to send it to one of the big vendors... :dunno: I thank you all for your concern and input..
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top