Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are the parts that I currently have newer gm short block / ported heads, intake , plenum / big valves /arp head bolts /comp cam lifters , springs , dbl. timing chain / ta 49 turbo with turbonetics mark II delta gates / lrg fr. mount inter cooler / accel dfi / 55# injectors / big bosh fuel pump / hot wire / new jimmies trans (just rebuilt) art carr 10 inch converter / 90/10 shocks up fr. 40/60 shocks in back with air bags / hooker cat back exhaust/ 3 inch down pipe / 3 inch teat pipe w/dump/ fiber glass bumpers/cage.
Gonna get polyurthane motor mounts / girdle , fr rear center mains , power plate , race pulley from RJC / 3:90 gears moser axles ,eaton posi unit/ ceramic coated header / je .30 over pistons / roller rockers ? kind /should I get some sort of scan tool also ..... my budget is about $4000 thanx for input ( what should it run? thanx )

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Whoa, Nellie!

A bunch of that stuff does not go together in combination, or is not needed.

For sure, you do not want, or need, 3.90 gears.

What is driving your selections? You understand that you can run mid 11s with a TA49, smaller injectors, and little else?

Some of the other stuff, like a girdle, would add some strength if you are planning to run down into the tens but your turbo won't go that far.

These cars will run into the 12s with a stock turbo and injectors with a decent air filter and exhuast and some traction. You can be into the 11s for a couple of thousand bucks or less.

A front mount is probably a waste of money until you are in the low 11s or even quicker. A stock location aftermarket intercooler will help in the 11s for sure.

Have you read this?
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipe.html

One of the most dangerous things one can do with these cars is buy a bunch of parts and make a bunch of changes at the same time. Invariably, it will run worse than before.

$4k can put you in the tens but it takes a combo that works together and the cost of keeping it running escalates like mad.

Not trying to knock you, just save you

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanx for your reply the car had every thing on it when I bought it last summer . the guy I bought it from said the car ran 11.21 . seeing has I used to be into mustangs didn't know a great deal about turbos . The car was supposed to have a 70's series turbo on it I have recently found out it is not . The guy I got the car from I beleve switched off some parts (Shady on his part / stupid on my part not to research the parts more) so to make a long story short I'm working with what I got . I goal is to get into the 10's and the car is not a primary driver. also strength is a big concerne of mine considering that I plan on trying to make some serious h.p. I 'm willing to go to bigger turbo / injectors if I need to . thanx very much for your help , any advice is welcome and very much appreciated just trying to make the most out of what I have

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also have trans cooler , k&n , bosh fuel presure regulator , pillar mount boost gauge , dash mounted tach , guage pod , heated o2 sensor and I think that is it . now keep in mind the car camr with all this the only thing i had to do is get the trans rebuilt (second gear was messed up when I picked it up from the seller ) should have probably been wary but I feel in love with this car My girlfriend is getting jealous. hahaha.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
get a laptop and buy direct scan and a scanmaster. If your running that fast, its suicide to race one of these cars without some sort of scan tool.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx , I'm looking for a lap top that is reasonable I also need the software for the dfi , thanx guys

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
First thing required is a scantool...I think for your stuff, I would get Direct Scan. You need a laptop to run it on.

These cars get temperamental when pushed too far and a scan tool can save you a lot of money, potentially. Plus it is hard to tune one without one.

These cars don't like gears, normally. In fact, most of them that are capable of the the 11's run better with a 28" tire instead of the stock 26" while keeping the 3.42.

As long as the car is in the 11's the stock suspension if fine.

Ceramic headers won't buy you anything nor will aftermarket headers from ATR...the stock ones work very well into the tens.

My suggestion is not to do anything other than the scan tool until you are more familar with them. 90% of the magic parts sold are not needed and I hate to see someone new to the cars run out and spend money...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is great savin' money , thanx I'm looking at laptops. right now I was on turbo link website, any knowledge on them ? . in my first post which i had to write 3 times because aol kept kicking off the last time i typed it i forgot to say that the motor is out due to a spun bearing so i understand that if you push things to far they will break and cost big

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts