Turbo Buick Forums banner

What rods does YOUR new truck have?

1K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Big Stu 
#1 ·
I would surely think a performance diesel should have a strong connecting rod, nothing like the PIECE OF CRAP to the far left!!!!! :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny, I always wondered why the Ford and Dodges sound like the rods are about to come out the sides?

Is that Farm Tractor sound an extra option or is that included with the 70 something TSBs and Recalls on that POS Ford? :D

#4 ·
TTA89 said:
Funny, I always wondered why the Ford and Dodges sound like the rods are about to come out the sides?

Is that Farm Tractor sound an extra option or is that included with the 70 something TSBs and Recalls on that POS Ford? :D

That is the sound of power, you wont hear it with a Duracrap :dunno: :D

#5 ·
"Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke."

#6 ·
Otto J said:
"Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke."
I know how to fix it. Just floor it! Bad ass rods in that 6.0 compared to GMs stuff huh?

#8 ·
EightSecV6 said:
I know how to fix it. Just floor it! Bad ass rods in that 6.0 compared to GMs stuff huh?

the Dodge has been around since the beginning of time and the Duramax has been around quite a while as well! The 6.0 was a completely new design for late 03 and what a fine job they did!

#12 ·
couple questions, not arguments...first off there are various engine sizes for the chevy, does that rod emcompass all of em...probably not but maybe...the dodge is a six, and ford an eight, so theoretically wouldnt it make sense for each of the dodge's rods to be bigger, since they need to handle more HP/torque per cylinder than the ford which has an 8...both have similar stated power...of course this is all coming from advertised power figures.....on another note, the duramax and ford engines have different turbos as well, they use the more hightech models encompassing a VGT turbo, where as the dodge does not, basically each truck has its ups and downs, of course all the recalls of the ford certainly do not help its credability

Just thought id add some wood to the fire in case some people dont have a dodge...

-haynesie

#13 ·
Well thickness is one thing but also the grade of the metal used as well, a thin rod made out of high grade metal is still better than a thick rod made out of mush. Also I have heard that Chevy uses cheap cast iron in there blocks while Olds used to use good grade cast iron in there blocks allowing them to have thinner walls and be lighter while also still be stronger than Chevy blocks.

#14 ·
lol they hold up fine, looks can be decieving. Apparently he didn't see the new test in the Deisel mag where the duramax Dually owned the hell out of the Ford and Dodges in every category. I do believe the Ford had some problem as it only put down 440 to the rear torque wise, but the Chevy put over 560 if i remember correctly and the Cummins put 540? with the chevy also having the most HP, and then proving it on the track by outrunning both trucks loaded and unloaded by a wide margin.

#15 ·
JDSfastGN said:
lol they hold up fine, looks can be decieving. Apparently he didn't see the new test in the Deisel mag where the duramax Dually owned the hell out of the Ford and Dodges in every category. I do believe the Ford had some problem as it only put down 440 to the rear torque wise, but the Chevy put over 560 if i remember correctly and the Cummins put 540? with the chevy also having the most HP, and then proving it on the track by outrunning both trucks loaded and unloaded by a wide margin.
Just to back up JD...http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=115662

Jason :sw: :sw: :sw:

#16 ·
Give me a CUMMINS over a DURAMIN any day. :D I've driven both, and there's nothing quite like driving a six speed manual Cummins. All you can get from GM is a dang Allison 6-speed auto. The newest version has a selective electronic manual shift mode though (kinda cool I guess). Ahh... Bangin' gears with a turbocharged staight-six diesel in front of you is downright bad to the bone. They sound far superior as well. :headbang:

#17 ·
The 6 Speed Auto is the balls to tow with, the trans is so smart. It downshifts on grades so you don't need to hit the brakes and just works perfectly. I tow with an open trailer so I've never even had the thing downshift even on the biggest grades going 80.

The cummins I drove was a dog, it didn't have any acceleration to speak of. They may be reliable for 3 trillion miles but I have places to be, I can't wait for that thing to climb hills. I'll take my Duramax please. :D

#19 ·
They all have their good and bad points, it is a matter of preference. I dont think you could go wrong with any. I bought my Ford because that is what I have always bought and have been very satisfied. The Ford will tow FAST and this is what impressed me the most. The rod picture was for a certain individual :D that responded in this thread and he mispelled my name too :headbang:

#20 ·
EightSecV6 said:
They all have their good and bad points, it is a matter of preference. I dont think you could go wrong with any. I bought my Ford because that is what I have always bought and have been very satisfied. The Ford will tow FAST and this is what impressed me the most. The rod picture was for a certain individual :D that responded in this thread and he mispelled my name too :headbang:
I spelled "PECKER" wrong? :D

#22 ·
EightSecV6 said:
That is the sound of power, you wont hear it with a Duracrap :dunno: :D

I guess the Cummins is the most powerful then. Considering you can here one start three states away. :D

#23 ·
I'll take my '02 diesel Excursion- zero drama, and 20mpg at highway speeds- and' it'll tow anything I want it to.

#24 ·
Whats Next?

Whats next? Sword fighting in the can at Indy? :fight: :spanka:

From a smarta$$ POV there is probally a reason for those scary big parts. Probally to cover up some engineering defeciency. :issues:

#25 ·
funny i towed 14000 lbs with a stock 6.0.. i towed 16000 lbs with my duramax.. duramax defintaly pulled alot better. the only thing i gotta say is the duramax is a thirsty sob.

if was a stricktly work truck where your over loading it the only one that can handle the abuse is the cummins. i wouldnt trust anything else if your over working it.

#26 ·
I better sell my POS Duramax after reading this thread, but I have to say at least my 4 balljoints and auto locking hubs still work flawless, and I GUARANTEE not many FORD guy can say that!!!! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.