Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
usually 15 psi is the norm...I've heard 14.7 at times but right near 15 psi is the stock setting of boost on the wastegate...

first things first...if you want to go fast, you have to replace the stock fuel pump with an aftermarket one because the stock pump barely supports fuel for the stock setup and that = knock if you do any other mods...

once the pump is upgraded you need to hotwire it and then get the stock fuel pressure regulator replaced with a billet adjustable one (accufab is usually the norm) and then get an adjustable wastegate actuator arm so you can adjust your boost

do the free mods such as take off the bottom plastic screen in the intercooler...block the coolant lines going into the throttle body, valve cover breathers, plug up hole in the back of the turbo inlet bell, make sure your intercooler hoses are nice and tight and check and replace your vacuum lines as necessary because they play a big role in boost control...

get rid of the stock air box setup and replace with a 9" filter connected straight to the maf sensor...you might also want to make your own cold-air kit with the filter hanging right behind the headlights...

leave the stock chip in until you upgrade your fuel system...otherwise your new chip will cause you to use more fuel than your system can support and you will knock like hell...

the stock fuel injectors go kinda gay after 50k miles as well so it may be a good idear to get those replaced with say 009's! then you know for sure you will have enough fuel...

also get some bigger street tires! p255/60/r15's at the least!

i'm sure someone else can fill in what i have left out

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/d0n_3d/

1987 Buick Grand National - 75,000 miles, Stock engine: Poston chromed MAF pipe, homemade cold air induction system w/ 9" K&N air filter behind headlights, Poston 3" Downpipe with high-flow CAT and test pipe, 2.5" Hooker cat-back exhaust system, adjustable wastegate actuator set at 14 lbs of boost on 93 octane, K&N breather by-pass kit, stock chip, throttle body coolant lines blocked, 160 degree thermostat, CR43TS spark plugs, VDO 30lb boost gauge, BFG P255/60/R15 all-weather rear tires...winter upgrades coming soon: 009 42.5 lb/hr fuel injectors, Walbro 340 fuel pump + hotwire kit, Accufab adj. fuel regulator, Scanmaster 2 first track times next spring:(

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 - 87,000 miles, Stock 4.6L V8 Engine: dual exhaust out the rear, modified air-box with cold air induction, modified chip, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, P245/70/R16 all-weather rear tires

"Have U Been Beat...By A Grand National Lately?" <--many have been

Note to all Ford/Chevy/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mine when it was stock was 12 - 13lb's max.

------------------
Keith Davis**86GN, Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & matched intake' TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo, Manly SS valves, CC 206-206 cam' Postons headers, Orange stripe conv. THDP,2 1/2 exhaust' Hooker comp. mufflers' SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, SS MAF & translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Stock mine ran 14psi in first and fell back to 12-13 on top end. This is way back when I was young. Steve we have to stop agreeing like this. people are going to start talking about us

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
yeah my car does that...it shoots up to 15 psi and then pulls back to around 12 psi...it's the chip that causes this Steve? cause I don't like! I want a constant rate of turbo boost...

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/d0n_3d/

1987 Buick Grand National - 75,000 miles, basic bolt on upgrades

"Have U Been Beat...By A Grand National Lately?" <--many have been

Note to all Ford/Chevy/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Yah, guys I hear you! But it wasn't that long ago, 2 years that my car was stock. And it never went past 13 psi. Then I decided to do some mods. All the regulars.

Then I noticed my boost would shoot up to 22psi then come down to 20. Having a KB chip in it, I phoned Kenne Belle. He told me that should never happen, must be something wrong with solenoid. At this time I only had 9000 miles on the car and told him I kind of doubt it. But regardless I looked at the solenoid and hoses and found a pin hole in the hose that goes to my turbo housing.

My other car, which has 60K miles on it, is a little different the boost does deviate on it, and I know it is my chip.

Just one Canadians findings.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by RX-6:
Factory set-up was designed for 15psi for 3 seconds then it would drop to 13psi.

Ummmm, NOPE. There is not timer algorythm built in to the chip's boost control tables.

And for the record, the REAL factory stock boost setting (assuming everything is operating properly) was set to 12# with scaling for 3rd and 4th gears. Some folks may have seen 13 or so, but that was likely due to inconsistencies in the boost gauge.

15# stock? Never. If your car is/was bone stock and running the original factory chip, and you're still seeing 15# then either the gauge is wrong or there's and overboost problem sneaking in.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
Pictures of my toys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.