Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last tirp to track; not good!. Bearing came apart in new tranny and ate up planetary gears. I thought that was most of the strange noises. While evaluating that situation the car started to overheat setting there. Then I noticed I had no power to my smc alky (26#'s of boost). Some of my sounds could have been major knock. I hauled it home and had tranny rebuilt then started dealing with over heating issue. Checked thermostat in hot water and it opens at 160 degrees. Put in new sensor and new radiator (f body). Let car idle and could see water circulate when thermo opened and added some more water. Drove about 4 miles to a car wash with 170 temp. Coming home I got on it and it would make some strange noises under boost, but was thinking it was my tranny. After doing that a couple of times my temps went over 200 and climbing. Pulled into driveway a let idle but temps were climbing. shut it down and was bubbling in the resevoir. Question: What are syptoms of headgasket problem and what steps do I take to evaluate. I am running water and cool runnings additive with a 10% if that antifreeze now. I still had about a 40 to 50% antifeeze in from the winter when at the track.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Do you have a vac/boost gauge on it? Your vac should be reduced if the head gasket is going. I took a big chunk out of mine and my vac was 0 and I could hear the sound of air in between my head and block. You could also do a compression test. Depending where the gasket blows you could get anti-freeze in your oil.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
mike70gtx said:
Question: What are syptoms of headgasket problem and what steps do I take to evaluate.
Headgaskets can blow several different ways.
They can leak coolant out externally, ie leaved puddles, and overheats.
They can leak coolant out internally, ie turns the oil into a milk shake, and overheats.
They can blow from one cylinder to the next, 2 adjacent cylinders miss.
They can allow combustion gases to leak into the cooling system, and that can als cause overheating . This one is the toughy, the easy answer is using an infra-red gas anaylser. Some folks have success using a simple litmus paper test. Sometimes the affected cylinders plugs are just *bone white*, and just way too clean. Sometimes, they're blown in such a small way, you won't find *it* until you take things apart.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
or the head can lift not blowing out the ring but pushing the gasket material out...that is what happened to me..no coolant..no huffing thru oil breathers..no loss of compression under normal loads...but under boost..different story...I also had other issues but I would not have seen it until I pulled the intake and saw the gasket material sticking out...only slight "out of round" on the metal ring...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I don't have water in the oil, can I run it or drive it a little to help evaluate or can I do more damage? Or should I start with compression checks or something else?

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
do compression checks...you have to start somewhere

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Or you can run plain water and see if it turns gray.
I blew a hg slightly #6 cyl into the water jacket.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Dropped oil and no signs of antifreeze. Decided to take no short cuts and pull the motor. It only took about a 1/2 a day to get it ready to pull. I'll let you know what happens. Still need to decide on what type of headgaskets to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts