Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I have to admit, I like the show Mythbusters. Even when their 'methods' aren't 100% proof that a myth is busted. I still like the idea of the show and the fact that things aren't staged (or so they seem). Plenty of destruction.

Anyways, I find myself a lot of times 'questioning' their methods and busting their myth busting. So, what episodes have you found interesting. Which busts have you busted??

The busted myth I'm calling out (to start this thread) is the myth of explosive decompression. This is where they pressurized an airplane, than shot at the window from the inside. They found that shooting a hole in the fuselage and window didn't make the whole side of the plane blow out, or cause things and people to go rushing out the window.

My problem with this?? The plane was not moving!! True they pressurized the plane at the same pressure that it would be in flight, but they didn't account for the extremely low air pressure that would be outside of the plane when it's flying at cruise altitude.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the show, but that is one I questioned also. They did not or could not account for the air moving at 600mph on the outside of the plane.
John

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Explosive decompression would take a lot more pressure differential than actually exists in the typical scenario. It's kinda like believing that a man in space would explode if he gets a hole in his space suit. It does not happen.

Consider aircraft in combat. Many come home riddled with holes but the occupants were not sucked out thru the holes, nor, did the holes get larger. In many cases, the people inside did not even realize a bullet had gone right past their position until the plane is on the ground and being examined.

When one considers the velocity of the air rushing by the plane at speed, it is easy to mix apples and oranges.

If one blows a hole into the fuselage of a plane, it is bound to cause an area of surrounding weakness due to the trauma. The smooth surface that the air rushes over at speed is disturbed and it is not uncommon for additional material to be jerked loose as the force exerted by the air at 500 mph against the disturbed surface is too great.

Remember the airliner in the Pacific that lost part of the upper fuselage in the late '80s? Several people in the area ripped off came out of the plane and were killed. It was not decompression that jerked them out...it was 500 mph wind passing over them that picked them up. Put them on the ground, rip the roof and pass that kind of wind around the airframe and they would come out....something akin to the venturi effect, I would bet.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
right again steve opertates similar to a siphon feed spray gun air rushing over a tube creates a low pressure area (vacume) which sucks up the paint until it hit the air stream and becomes presurized..so if the hole is large enough and the velocity of the air is great enough they are not forced out wards they are sucked out

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
gn85 said:
The busted myth I'm calling out (to start this thread) is the myth of explosive decompression. This is where they pressurized an airplane, than shot at the window from the inside. They found that shooting a hole in the fuselage and window didn't make the whole side of the plane blow out, or cause things and people to go rushing out the window.

My problem with this?? The plane was not moving!! True they pressurized the plane at the same pressure that it would be in flight, but they didn't account for the extremely low air pressure that would be outside of the plane when it's flying at cruise altitude.
They accounted for the pressure *differential*. The plane at altitude isn't at a full 14.7 PSI. I forget the exact numbers they used, but they seemed to account for the air density.
With all the lightning strikes, bird strikes, etc., etc., if explosive decompression was a serious threat, they'd have found out by now.
Now an explosion big enough to deskin, or break some of the spares or bulkheads, would be another matter.

And, BTW, there have been reports of geese at 30,000'.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
kenmosher said:
From your link:
After the accident, a full-scale investigation was launched by the NTSB. It concluded that the accident was caused by metal fatigue and stress fractures exacerbated by crevice corrosion [2] (the plane did, after all, operate primarily in a saltwater-saturated climate)

It wasn't explosive decompression, it was metal fatigue, and stress fractures.
That allowed the rushing air to get under the skin, and then peal it apart.

BTW, there are a number of cases, where doors, hatches, and access panels, weren't properly closed, that caused some planes to loose large areas of the skin.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Consider aircraft in combat. Many come home riddled with holes but the occupants were not sucked out thru the holes, nor, did the holes get larger. In many cases, the people inside did not even realize a bullet had gone right past their position until the plane is on the ground and being examined.
Not many military aircraft that are used in hostile fire zones, have pressurized cabins. Most just give the crew masks at high altitude.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Not many military aircraft that are used in hostile fire zones, have pressurized cabins. Most just give the crew masks at high altitude.
This is similar to the thread on Mt Everest. I voiced an opinion there. The same opinion would apply here.

To reference a book I read a long time ago, even pure oxygen will not sustain life at high altitude, without atmospheric pressure. The way I understood it, you can fill the lungs w/oxygen, but the blood will not absorb it above a certain altitude. You in fact start to slowly die.

There should be pilots or somebody on this board qualified to comment from training, etc.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think it's a mistake that Carrie hasn't yet done an entire episode in a bikini. :(

·
Too many black cars!
430 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
wmsonta said:
This is similar to the thread on Mt Everest. I voiced an opinion there. The same opinion would apply here.

To reference a book I read a long time ago, even pure oxygen will not sustain life at high altitude, without atmospheric pressure. The way I understood it, you can fill the lungs w/oxygen, but the blood will not absorb it above a certain altitude. You in fact start to slowly die.

There should be pilots or somebody on this board qualified to comment from training, etc.
Are you somehow replying to what I said?.....

The O2 transfer with occur as long as there is O2, the diapham (sp), when it contracts, only does so to allow atom. pressure fill the lungs. If the O2 volume drops low enough due to there just not being enough ambient O2, then yes, someone can smother from the lack of O2. AND, some people suffer from being CO2 retainers. ie when their O2 saturation drops, the dia loses it's ability to contract fully, and the lungs then don't vent well, and CO2 builds up.

The lack of getting enough O2 can be a slow process, and during that time, the body goes into *lizard mode*. ie as the O2 drops, the individual wants to become combative. During this altered state, things can get confusing, and the person can do any number of things, that just don't seem to make sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great info from folks more learned than me. :sw:

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what other myths did you agree or not agree with?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Breathalyzer

When I was doing my post secondary education I was enrolled in Chemical Instrumentation. In this class we worked with Atomic Absorption machines and all those other analyzers you see on CSI. The Chem Prof use to work with the local police calibrating the Breathalyzer machine for 10yrs. He told us there is only one thing that can screw up the calibration of the machine. I found it interesting when they did this segment on beating the machine they did not test this one ingredient.

·
weather jock
1,096 Posts
forzfed said:
When I was doing my post secondary education I was enrolled in Chemical Instrumentation. In this class we worked with Atomic Absorption machines and all those other analyzers you see on CSI. The Chem Prof use to work with the local police calibrating the Breathalyzer machine for 10yrs. He told us there is only one thing that can screw up the calibration of the machine. I found it interesting when they did this segment on beating the machine they did not test this one ingredient.

PLEASE GOD DONT LET IT BE SPERM :poon: :dunno:

·
Registered
220 Posts
CUTLASS85 said:
PLEASE GOD DONT LET IT BE SPERM :poon: :dunno:

Hahahahahaha.........

·
Registered
732 Posts
forzfed said:
So-what going to happen to you/us if you tell us the ingredient?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
gn85 said:
So what other myths did you agree or not agree with?
While it wasn't a matter of agreeing or not, the firing of rifles into the pool was interesting.

The Chinese rocket throne, was a deboggle.
The Water powedered thrust pack was another one.
In both of them the executions were so poor that they weren't going to work.

The bridge stomp didn't begin to duplicate the loads involved, IMO.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
forzfed said:
well what is it? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts