Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says best shock want to get the front to lift more at the track but still want to be ok on the street.My suspension so far is boxed control arms new springs (kirban) and I have an ATR(but I don't know if it help lift the front?)Its high 11 sec. car

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I like my KYB with 50/10 rear & 90/10 or 80/20 front Using the 80/20 setting this year & seems good although I havent been to the track yet to see if it affects my 60 or not but I doubt it?

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
keep this thread going I am interested. I have some questions to throw out later too

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
bout the cheapest way I know and still have a good quality street ride are the QA1 single adjustable...

You can set the front end on a softer setting so it will come up quickly and the rears around the middle of the range. that is for the track. Then set the fronts back around the middle for the street. Experimentation will probably take you a click or two away from the middle.

Note, these are single adjustable and while the fronts come up easily on soft, there is no resistance to settling back down unlike a true drag shock.

If you check the cost of double adjustables, you will see why I suggest the single adjustables.

Fortunately, the typical G body is not super sensitive to settings for 60' times on street cars, anyway :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
If your not looking for adjustable and you still have the original shocks on the car, then stay with them on the front. They will give good lift and obviously drive OK on the street. It's give and take. I've drive loose cars that were good going straight, but when a Monte SS want to play on the back roads - forget it.
Our shop car still runs the original front shocks, springs, and swaybar. The rear has airbags, new KYB shocks, and Hotchkis arms. Our 60' time is 1.57 on a 4# launch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve Wood said:
bout the cheapest way I know and still have a good quality street ride are the QA1 single adjustable...

You can set the front end on a softer setting so it will come up quickly and the rears around the middle of the range. that is for the track. Then set the fronts back around the middle for the street. Experimentation will probably take you a click or two away from the middle.

Note, these are single adjustable and while the fronts come up easily on soft, there is no resistance to settling back down unlike a true drag shock.

If you check the cost of double adjustables, you will see why I suggest the single adjustables.

Fortunately, the typical G body is not super sensitive to settings for 60' times on street cars, anyway :)
Is there a part # for the Single adjustables can't find them on Summits web site?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
chargedtt said:
Is there a part # for the Single adjustables can't find them on Summits web site?
Summit part #s

front HAL-TC1914P

rear HAL-TC1661P

They also make a race version front HAL-RC1914P

I have never used those and don't know if they are suitable on the street, or not :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
87bigcut said:
anyone use that competition engineering rear coilover kit that they show in summit and jegs?
streetable? was thinking about getting these for the rear along with a better sway bar.
I have the QA1 rear coil overs.
I really like them, they make for a better ride then even Bilsteins, and any spring I could come up.

Dunno about 60' times, but for high speed handling nothing I've tried prior to them comes even close.

·
Irradiate This!
734 Posts
For a friendly street drive, I am using Lakewood drag shocks, 70/30 front and 50/50 rear. Kirban springs all around with new body bushings. Stock boxed lower control arms with poly bushings and stock upper control arms with poly bushings. H&R parts rear sway bar and no front sway bar. Drives very nice on the street.

The 70/30 shocks are more street friendly than 90/10 shocks in the front. Not having a front sway bar helps the front lift at the track but with the H&R rear bar it still handles fine on the street. The H&R rear bar mounts differently than the ATR bar so its not affected as much by not having a front sway bar.

I am getting consistent mid 1.5 60's with this combo in 11 sec mode on MT DRs. With some adjustable upper control arms and a better pinion angle I'm hoping for low 1.5s or even high 1.4s.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
I have cheap summit 90/10's in the front and bilstiens out back. I really thought the 90/10's would be scary but that hasn't been the case. Having a good sway bar out back tends to help alot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the 3-way Comp Eng drag shocks front/back...have tried both 90/10 and 80/20 in front and my car likes the 80/20...as for the rear tried 50/50 and best 60ft was 1.53...car is capable of lower 60's...next time out will try 60/40 in the rear and see how it does...doesn't seem to affect street driving with the different settings I've used...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts