Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing basic repairs to my '87 GN and now I have it running well and back in pretty good shape. I now would like to start enhancing it. I want to start with new injectors, the previous owner said they were still the stock injectors, and I am pretty sure they are leaking. When I turn of my car, I lose fuel pressure in about 5 min and it is basically flooded when I start it up again. The car is pretty much stock, the only mods that have been done are: Hotwired Walbro 307 Fuel Pump, AccuFab Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Cold Air Induction, Adjustable Wastegate, and a Thrasher Street Chip. So what do you all think would be the best injectors and were can I find them. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would get MSD50's 50lb injectors. No upgrades needed until you hit the 10's. they also perform great in the street. Most chipmakers burn chips for these without any problems like other have. I get 25mpg on the highway with them and they idle better then the stock injectors.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Like he said.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have 38's on my car. so far i really like them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got 009 42lb. Racetronix flow matched injectors and I like them a lot. When I push on the pedal there always seems to be plenty of fuel flowing! :) powersix

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
50's! thumb_up

Why anyone buys anything smaller than a 50# injector for the Buick is beyond me!

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
In NC, as in many states, there are emissions tests required for those of us who actually want to license and drive our Buicks. I don't think my car would pass the emissions tests with 50 lb injectors, but I don't know that for sure. It just seems to me that injectors that big might be too rich at idle, by flowing too much even at the fastest possible cycle time. Anybody have any experience to show how large injectors can be made to pass the emissions test? I think I can can an "emissions" chip from Thrasher for 36 lb injectors, don't know about anything bigger.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Emissions is beyond me (or Florida to be exact)! :)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You can get emission chips from Scott Simpson for larger injectors too.

Just got one for 55's.

Also got one for 009's instead of the Bosch 43 lb. one I ordered.

He prolly don't know the difference... frown

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Ormand:
In NC, as in many states, there are emissions tests required for those of us who actually want to license and drive our Buicks. I don't think my car would pass the emissions tests with 50 lb injectors, but I don't know that for sure.
Its all in the chip, 50s act so close to a stock injector its easy to make chips for them.

Everyone should run 50s. They Rock headbang

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Ormand, I pass IM240 emission test with MSD50's. and also the car drove many 1000 and 2000 mile trips setup as listed. I also get 25mph on the highway with AC on. My car is as streetable as my Park Ave :cool:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thanks, Ed. That's the kind of info I needed. But do I have to have the map lights to make the big injectors work?

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
So whats all this about the MSD 50# injectors I've been hearing? If I go with new injectors, would they suit me? Sounds like they're alright for even a stock and street cars?

What about the dreaded tip-in stumble? How do the MSD's fair? My car has tip-in now with 30lb Tomco's. And its horrible! When I blip the throttle from an idle, it just dies for a split second, then revs. Runs really rich anywhere down low. Gotta be something I can do.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Tip in stumble is either a poorly made chip or a problem such as dirty/misadjusted iac, vacuum leak, etc. Unless the injectors are dirty and not spraying correctly, they should not be to blame.

Tomco 30s should work fine with any chip made for stock injectors.

50s are reportedly to flow an almost parallel curve to stock injectors and there are many great chips available for them.

Ormand, Carl Ijames has passed emissions with 72s. There is probably a point where large injectors get sloppy and dribble at idle but it is above the 50 size. :) I think the larger peak and hold injectors turn off and on more crisply and this may help when it comes to low pw control.

·
Registered
92 Posts
50s are great,I like mine.The driveability is good and it still passed emmissions.Just don't run too much turbo.My te 63 at 21# of boost is almost too much for them.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Question :
Would I see a noticable difference if I swapped out my 009's to MSD 50's ???

If so - Would I have to reburn all my Red Armstrong chips ? 107, 108 and a 98 ???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts