Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the Gn to work today charged the AC,& used the ac driving home"I have a SM 2 & VDO gauge"The SM reads 20 deg higher than the VDO"Eng dont seem hot SM highest reading was 210 while the VDO was 190,Is there a way to do a reality check?BTW its the original fact sensor on eng.VDO is 2 years old.

------------------
Keith Davis--86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Is the vdo electrical? I have seen a number of electrical guages be off by 20 degs.

Normally, My SM and mechanical temp gauge read within two or three degrees of one another.

How bout sender location? You coming out of the front of the intake with the VDO or the side of the block?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would let it sit overnight,watch the weather reportand then withough firing it up look at what the SM says. if it is 20 over ambient then I would say that that gauge is the one that is off and I would go off of the vdo gauge for the real temp.

------------------
'87 Gn +toys
'90 Jeep Cherokee +toys
'95 Dodge cummins Diesel Tows toys
'94 Toyota Supra no toys yet

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I had an 1/8th" sender in the side of the 3.8 block. The VDO gauge was consistantly about 7* warmer then the SMII.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Turbo 6 Justin:
I would let it sit overnight,watch the weather reportand then withough firing it up look at what the SM says. if it is 20 over ambient then I would say that that gauge is the one that is off and I would go off of the vdo gauge for the real temp.

Only one small nit-picky detail. The SM isn't a gauge, it's a scan tool, and as such reads what is being reported to the ECM.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's not a gauge.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a elec gauge for the VDO mounted in ft of intake.The idea for checking it for actual temp sounds good"I just hope that it stays correct as it gets hotter.TD the SC is not a gauge?Then what would you call it?It gives readings witch is gauged by the sender"Since we are getting so technacal.I know your the man but jes.No need to get so pickey!

------------------
Keith Davis--86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by fast86:
......,Is there a way to do a reality check?BTW its the original fact sensor on eng.
There are 2 easy ways to verify gauge temps.
One is to use a thermometer in the radiator liquid. Other is using an IR temp "gun".

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
[email protected]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yea Keith, I heard those rectal thermometers are the best to use. Just insert the thermometer and stick your finger (or other appendage) in the radiator cap hole! Hows that for techincal ??? Glad to hear your running. Are ya gonna let me see it?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Make sure your I.R. temp. gun is set for the proper emissivity too.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VDO is right on the money'Guess its time to get a new sensor.I dont know if a bad sensor effects drivability so it will sit till thats fixed.
Jeff did ya get the trans fixed?I thought something was wrong there"3rd gear stuck on thats a new one!Yea ill get buy some weekend with it & show ya what a TR is suppost to do!

·
Registered
221 Posts
No Tranny repairs yet. Lack of funds and lack of energy ie. desire. Did get laptop and turbo link. Now got data and no money to fix it. No hurry !

·
my bitch is on fire!!
908 Posts
I've always wanted to know, how does ANYONE know WHICH gauge is correct? (how does anyone really know what time it is? Damn, now that song will be in my head for days!)

All I know, is that the autometer water gauge in my buick is *about* 30° too high!

------------------
NOTE MY NEW WEBSITE URL!
www.buickfromhell.com
(For custom dress-up items!)
AND my new e-mail address:
[email protected]
thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts