Turbo Buick Forums banner

what exactaly is the powermaster?

925 views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve Wood 
#1 ·
what exactaly is the powermaster brake system? i mean can someone explain?

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 84k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon :)
shooting for low 13's high 12's

#2 ·
instead of using vacuum as the brake assist source, the powermaster system uses an electric motor/hydraulic pump to obtain power assist for the brakes on the 86/87s

#3 ·
would that cause a slight pulsing in the peadel?

#5 ·
Along with a motor running sound, pedal to the floor, no stopping and big buck to the pocket to replace with the same. However mine has been good since about 93 now, knock on wood. Oh....I said knock, Doh, knock is not our friend. You know Steve if this thing had spell check ya think anyone would us it. My spaleing sux, so sometimes I copy it to Word and spell check it and then paste it back to here so I don't appear to be a narry spelling DA that I am!

#6 ·
Well, it is normal for it to turn off and on periodically when you have your foot on the brake. I no longer have Powermasters on any of my cars. Well, that is not completely true as the Limited I own half of has one. I have always felt a click in the pedal on PM cars but the motor should not be running continuously.

If it does, you will be sending a check to Hank Terry for a bit over a $100 in return for a brand new motor/pump unless you swap to vacuum.

With regard to spelling, some have a natural talent for it and others have to work at it. In the old days when we had to walk ten miles to school, we all had to learn to spell. Obviously some learned better than others. Today, it seems to often be optional.

When I interviewed job candidates, I paid a lot of attention to both writing skills and spelling if the position was one that would deal with clients or upper management. I did not want the company to be embarassed. If the job was an engineering position or similar where the person would not be exposed to the outside world, then it was not so critical. On the other hand, I knew the person would have a difficult time in progressing to a management position.

When I was in college, a misspelled word on a paper would be grounds for an F. Today, spelling seems to be considered a genetic ability rather than an acquired skill. When I see people wanting to raise teacher salaries, I want to fire 90% of them because of their lack of skills and only give the money to those that actually are capable of teaching.

Once, when my daughter was in school, the teacher knocked off a few points for making a spelling error....that was fine except I found three misspelled words on the test written by the teacher. I sent the teacher a polite note asking how she could knock off points for a misspelled word when she, herself, had made three mistakes....Needless to say, it did not help my daughter. Shortly thereafter, her science teacher taught the class about internal combustion engines and wrote that water vapor was required for an engine to run. I wrote him a polite note correcting him. Then my daughter wrote me a note asking that I not help her anymore. When my son started to school, she wrote me another note asking me to not help him either.

Spell checkers will do it all but they don't know the difference between "their", "they're", and "there", etc. I am probably the last guy in the world that owns a dictionary! LOL

Education seems to have little in common with spelling today. I ran an R&D department once. I had a number of young PhD's that worked for me that could not spell. Some of them were quite brilliant, and some just had degrees, but some of the brilliant ones never became what they should have as they could not communicate to a wide audience well and their talents did not gain them the external recognition they deserved.

It does not matter how good you are at what you do unless you can "sell" yourself to the customer. I am sure there are exceptions but not too many.

The 'Net seems to be affecting our abilities as we all use shortcuts and slang to communicate quickly. Perhaps, the entire world will dumb down to our level or adapt phonetic spelling which would greatly simplify the problem? Then we shall only have to worry about the phonetics of our accents and accept the fact that we are gonna have different spellings cause some of ya'll tawk funny, especially you, Boid! *g*

There are several people on this board that have really good writing skills-speaking beyond spelling-that I really admire. Grammar checkers cannot teach that.

Go for it, Joker! I left out a few commas and inserted some rambling sentences for you!

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited November 16, 2001).]

#7 ·
Guys don't ask him what he thinks of keyboards and typewriters!

My scribe gets three squares a day and a room.

#8 ·
Typing and spelling are the only two things that I learned in school that I have consistently used. I would say reading but my brother taught me to read long before I started school. My father believe you were illiterate unless you knew the multiplication thru the 12s so I knew those before I started to school as well.

#9 ·
I couldn't tell by the tone of your dissertation, but I didn't spark a nerve did I? I was not making a negative comment, but remarking on the site not having a spell check. Some sites like this do have spell checks. I was amused by your correction. Now I'm going to be conscientious of every time I write, especially since I often seek your advice.

(spell checked in Word) Doh!

2 Engineering Degrees and neither one had spelling. It's a wonder how I got out. Before I couldn't spell enganer and now I r one.

[This message has been edited by Buick T (edited November 16, 2001).]

#10 ·
so the powermaster is just like abs kinda? lol

#11 ·
The pulsation in the pedal isn't from an out of round brake rotor it?
Does it only plusate when braking and seem to slow down with vehicle speed or does it do it at a stop as well.
My '87 GN still has the original powermaster on it and all I've done is the accumulator and the recall for the pressure switch. The car has 90,000km on it or for my American friends about 55,000 miles (I'm Canadian) and the pump and master cylinder have never given me any grief.
I think I had the worst case of pressure switch failure ever, I was coming home from work about 6 years ago and I head a bang. Ok no big deal until I smell something burning, that would be brake fluid on the exhaust. Then the brake light comes on and next time I hit the brakes there's no power assist. So I pull over and open the hood to find the top of the switch blew right off and drenched my engine compartment with brake fluid. I still have fadded paint on the firewall to prove it. Luckilly the recall hadn't been done yet so I got it fixed for free.

#12 ·
you know i never knew untill the other night that the brake light would come on if something is wrong. i just dont feel my gn stops as good as my monte did. i could lock the monte's brakes up at any giving moment not only the front but the rears too.

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 84k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon :)
shooting for low 13's high 12's

#13 ·
Originally posted by Steve Wood:

In the old days when we had to walk ten miles to school,
we all had to learn to spell. Obviously some learned better than others. Today, it seems to often be optional.

B]

Damn! you sound just like my Daddy! And that smack I got on the hand over the TPS still hurts!
Meanass!

[This message has been edited by fast86 (edited November 16, 2001).]

#14 ·
As for the question of topic:
I AM THE POWERMASTER!

#16 ·
Originally posted by Buick T:
I couldn't tell by the tone of your dissertation, but I didn't spark a nerve did I? [This message has been edited by Buick T (edited November 16, 2001).]
No,no nerve....I have the conversation with my son who is a freshman in college all the time...I try to explain to him that it is not always how smart you are, but how smart others perceive you to be. It is not fair but many of us old guys that have an influence on younger guys' futures tend to look at the whole package.

He is making A's in English at the moment because the teacher thinks he has a vivid imagination and she does not care about his spelling because his content is so good. I try to explain to him that, if he stood up in a Board of Directors' meeting and presented a plan with spelling errors, he would receive less than full consideration.

Maybe it is a nerve, but not your fault! *g*

The world is probably changing with regard to such things but there are still a lot of dinosaurs like me on the top of things.

The worst word for me is "weird"--no matter how I spell it, it looks wrong. Second worst is "commitment"....always looks wrong.

If you watch what I write, you will notice I have a habit of putting d's on the ends of verbs that don't need them and leaving out words....I am full of errors!

#17 ·
lol at least you admit it. i'm never wrong even when i'm wrong i'm right. lol but when amanda says i'm wrong well i'm wrong lol.

#18 ·
Originally posted by firebird_1252:
lol at least you admit it. i'm never wrong even when i'm wrong i'm right. lol but when amanda says i'm wrong well i'm wrong lol.

Young man, that is the way it works...lotsa us got Amandas...LOL

#19 ·
still confusing me wood. lol

#20 ·
Lord he's starting to scare me now!!!

Those two words are my least favorite to spell especially weird, I before E except after C and yadda yadda yadda. Hope I spelled yadda right...

"I have the conversation with my son who is a freshman in college all the time...I try to explain to him that it is not always how smart you are, but how smart others perceive you to be. It is not fair but many of us old guys that have an influence on younger guys' futures tend to look at the whole package."

My boss at work in his reports uses a ton of verbiage, read (baggage), in his technical reports and uses his Thesaurus regularly. Makes a technical report and lab procedure kinda cumbersome but makes him look smart lol. I understand most of them (words not his reasoning), but, my buddy in the lab. is Polish and still working on the esoteric big words, LOL, it drives him nuts.
One paragraph sentence where 5 words would do.

Anyway spelling is important if it's normal everyday words. No reason one error might get by as a typo., but, 3-4 in an email or report is a big no-no.

As for appearing smarter and in management in our place, it is always the BS'ers that get ahead. I have scratched my head often after meetings and presentations. But boy can most of them sing and dance....

Now how about punctuation!!!

#21 ·
I gave up punctuation in my old age. The King of Run On Sentences needs no punctuation. Periods frighten me.

The guy with the Thesaurus must have a complex. Technical reports should be kept in simple language where possible so the maximum number of people can use them.

He probably was told to learn a new word everyday when he was a kid and forgot to do it.

#22 ·
lol i just put a comma here a comma there sometimes i'm right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.